1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 29, 2015 5:43 PM by Francesco Oorthuizen

Illustrator error: Can't open the illustration

Brianhor Horrison

Apparently this error isn't very common.

I find help for "Can't open the illustration" errors, but the errors described always contain more info. My error only says what I stated.

Illustrator gives the error, then "opens" the file, but it's blank.

And here's the kicker: I CAN open any of these files normally on another install of Illustrator on the network.

So it's not the files, though just for reference I tried .eps, and .ai.

And it's not an overall Illustrator error, because I have successfully opened some files.

Illustrator doesn't have a preferences file that I know of the way InDesign does, that I might throw away and make it rewrite.

Network permissions are fine, because the user can open/edit/save other files in the same drive and folder.

There's no version differences: we're all on CS1.

Restarting didn't help.

What else?

• Re: Illustrator error: Can't open the illustration
          Francesco Oorthuizen

Hello Brianhor,

Solidworks doesn't save your file to .ai. It saves it to pdf and then renames it to .ai in the background.

Maybe a good way to spot the problem is to save your file to pdf and then import it into Illustrator.

If that works then there is maybe something wrong with your illustrator installation ( or windows rename settings)

If that doesn't work then maybe there is something wrong with your Solidworks. Try a repair or contact your reseller for other solutions

with kind regards

Francesco