10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 10:00 PM by Brent Studenroth

Invalid Templates?

Brent Studenroth

Hello all.

About a week ago, I uninstalled Solidworks 2013 from my computer, and installed Solidworks 2015.  After the download completed, I went to make a new part and an error popped up on my screen:

solidworks error.JPG

Upon going to Options>Default Templates, this is what appears on the screen:

solidworks error 2.JPG

What is happening, and how can I fix this?

Are these the incorrect paths to these default templates?

Do I have to reinstall Solidworks 2015?

Is something messed up with the paths from 2015?

Are some of the paths from 2013 enabled on 2013?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent

• Re: Invalid Templates?
          Deepak Gupta

Could be possible that templates have got corrupted. Create new template and put them in the desired locations.

Brent Studenroth

Hello Deepak, and thank you for responding.

Upon going to the folder with the templates, here is what I found:

Are these the correct templates?

Also, how would I go about making new templates?

Thanks,

Brent

Deepak Gupta

Start a new files for each type and then save them as Part, Assembly and Drawing template in this folder, overwriting the existing ones.

For fixing the file association, right click on the file and select properties. And then click on change and make sure it is either selected to SOLIDWORKS launcher or S 2015.

Brent Studenroth

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for your help so far.  I understand that I can overwrite the existing templates with new files.  The problem is that I cannot start new files.  When I try to start new files (part, drawing, or assembly), that is when the invalid template error pops up.  If I choose to start with a blank template, nothing happens.  If I hit cancel, I am back to the starting screen.  I can't even start a new part, drawing, or assembly. 

I also changed the default program to SOLIDWORKS Launcher.  I can actually see small pictures of the parts that I made previously in the thumbnails next to the file name, I just cannot open them.

Any other solutions?

Brent

Peter De Vlieger

Brent,

Have you checked out the path in question  C:\ProgramData\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS 2015\templates

to see if there are templates there?

Did you work with the default templates or did you use customized ones?

Where were your templates normally located? If you don't know then the only thing for it is doing a search on your system for the necessary files.

Brent Studenroth

Hello Peter,

Yes, I have checked the path and it seems to be in order:

I only ever used the default templates in the past.  I didn't have this problem before so I had no idea where the templates were located before.

Are these the correct templates?  If so, where does my problem lie?

Thanks,

Brent

Scott Kramer

Something you should understand:

1. SolidWorks will function properly whether the three fields on the "default templates" window are filled in or left blank.
                      2. The part, assembly, and drawing templates in those three fields only get used when you ask SW to do something that requires SW to make a new part, assembly, or drawing; not when you make a new part, assembly, or drawing.
                      3. When you start a new part, assembly, or drawing, by clicking either File>New... or the icon that looks like a blank piece of paper, you are taken to the folder specified in: System Options>File Locations, Show folders for: Document Templates.
                      4. The location of "Document Templates" and "default templates" can be the same, different, or like I said in 1 above, "default templates" can be left blank.

Here's a simple way to fix it:

1. Open a part file you made in the past, with SW 2013.
                      2. Delete all features so the part is empty.
                      3. Make any changes to the file properties, planes, lighting, etc. that you would like to exist whenever you start a new part.
                      4. Save this blank part as your part template.  Use the .prtdot file extension.  Name it "inch part" or "mm part" or whatever makes sense to you.  Place the part in a new folder that makes sense to you.  You could call the folder "Part Assembly Draw".
                      5. Do the same thing with an assembly file.  Save it in the same folder as a .asmdot file.
                      6. Do the same with a drawing file and save it in the same place as .drwdot file.  (You can do this for each drawing size you may use)
                      7. Go to System Options>File Locations, Show folder for: Document Templates.  Select whatever is in the "Folders:" field and choose Delete.  Choose Add, browse to your Part Assembly Draw folder, select OK.
                      8. Go to System Options>Default Templates, and fill in the three fields by browsing to your Part Assembly Draw folder and selecting the appropriate file for each one.
                          Brent Studenroth

Scott,

Thank you for the detailed response.  When trying to open a part (.SLDPRT) that I made in the past on SW 2013 in SW 2015 (step 1), nothing happens.  SW 2015 will open, and the plain blank screen will remain.  There is no indication of any loading processes of any kind on this blank screen.  I have no idea why this is happening.  Further, I must manually choose to open it with SW 2015 every time, as SW 2013 is still the default program (even though the program does not exist on my computer). 

Any insights?

Brent

Brent Studenroth

Hello all,

After uninstalling SW 2015 and reinstalling it, all of my problems went away.  Everything opens fine now. Thank you all for your help!

Brent