0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 11:45 AM by Sebastian Günther

How to make copy of project including reference to parameter text file

Sebastian Günther

I want to create a copy of a CAD project to continue the work from that copy of the original project structure. There is a Pack&Go (File --> Pack and Go) feature to create a copy including the references between the files/parts/assemblies etc., however, the reference to a parameter.txt file is not updated and points to the old path. How to set this reference to the new path within the Pack&Go copy process?

Background:

I finished a first version of a CAD project. The model is parametrized with a parameterset.txt file (Via Extras --> Equations --> Import (I have a German version, names may differ)). The project has the following structure:

PROJECT_FOLDER

| ASSEMBLY_FOLDER

| | - assembly_all.sldasm

| | - assembly_sub.sldasm

| COMPONENT_FOLDER_1

| | - file1.sldprt

| COMPONENT_FOLDER_2

| - parameterset.txt

The textfile parameterset.txt is loaded by all parts in all subfolders, so each part has a reference to PROJECT_FOLDER/parameterset.txt. Now I want to create a fork of the project and continue the work from there on, leaving the original unmodified. So I need an exact Copy in a new project folder with an Identical structure:

PROJECT_FOLDER_COPY

| ASSEMBLY_FOLDER

| COMPONENT_FOLDER_1

| - parameterset.txt

By using the Pack&Go feature a copy of the folder structure is created correctly. However, the PROJECT_FOLDER_COPY/parameterset.txt file is unused, since all references still point to the old file PROJECT_FOLDER/parameterset.txt. In the following, these references can be edited manually to direct to the right location but this task must be done for each file individually which is extremely time consuming and inconvenient. Is there a way to bypass this problem?

This problem is easily solvable for future releases, if SolidWorks would save a relative file path instead of an absolute one.