4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 7:46 PM by Tom Dirriwachter

Expanded Metal Creation"

Michael Ralph

@

I need to creat a Platform covered with Expanded Metal. Does anyone have a 3d Shortcut besides extruding a bunch of Diamonds?@

• Re: Expanded Metal Creation"
          J. Mather

Best shortcut is to use a cosmetic texture.

Bryan Ray

Did you try 3D Content Central?  This 3D ContentCentral is a link to expanded metal there.

Scott Baugh

! asked this same question a few months ago. Here is what I did to show it within our guarding. Its not to scale, because I just wanted a representation of expanded metal. I made a Design Table to cut out what was needed per the guarding. I started with a 48" x 120" and just used the same feature to cutout what was needed.

DT.jpg

I also needed a rolled piece, but this time I just made a rolled sheet and cut out a portion using an Expanded metal sketch. The reason for only using a portion was so it didn't kill my assembly.

expanded.jpg

I have attached both files in this post.

SW needs to make a file that can by customized without it the file being huge. The guarding part is over 100MB after I add the above DT.

Hope this helps,

Tom Dirriwachter

I did this once in Pro|E but this is pretty generic if you must have the offset.

Start with determining the angle of each "wave".  This can be managed with a sketch of the side view.

Next, create a wave extrusion on a plane angle per the sketch.  Wave - wwwwwwwwwwwwww   Plane angle /

Now pattern the wavy feature once in x and y to accomplish the offset.  Be sure they merge.

Then pattern both features to the desired plate size and trim the edges to the finished size.

Here is one with additional processing...

warp_with_symmetry_applied_3view.PNG