4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 1:49 AM by Alex Henry

Weldment bounding box in Description?

Alex Henry

Hi Weldment/Sheetmetal and cutlist  Fans!

I have a predicament - IN SW 2014 when I use sheet metal in a multi-body weldment I like to show the description as Sheet <n> thickness by the width, and then the length in the "LENGTH" column.

Typically I do this by adding a bounding box to the sheetmetal part then apply that information into the Properties dialog as below. The results are pretty good but I spent up to 5 minutes to get the information into each area by copying and pasting the metadata so that it updates correctly. The issue is I might have 10 or even 50 instances where I have to do this and I can't replicate it to make it easier. Time is the thing we have least of, so I am looking for more automated ways to do things.

My questions are:

1) Is there a better way to do this: Do you use bounding box? Do you customise how the bounding box information is brought in?

2) Is there a way to speed up this process without a creating a macro (although that would also help) so that if creating a bounding box is my task, the info ends up as SHEET Thickness x Width in 1 column, then Length in the last column etc.

Thanks in advance

• Re: Weldment bounding box in Description?
          Deepak Gupta

Have you tried making a template for it i.e. create a 100 x 50 x 5 mm sheet and update the cut list with required settings. And then use that template for your new models.

• Re: Weldment bounding box in Description?
              Alex Henry

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for coming back to me and I appreciate the suggestion.

No I haven't tried that. I'm not quite clear on what you're suggesting - are you saying model this sheet you mention in a part, then use the linked dimensions in the cutlist then create the part template?

What might not work in the instance is that I've inherited the work with not enough time to manually edit each one of these weldments (with sheetmetal and structural members). The sheet sizes are varied and these are already created so the quickest way I though to get them into the cutlist is to link the variables, but this will take longer than manually inputting into the cutlist with dimensions off the drawing.

example: I just dimension up the part and then enter the information manually into the cutlist.in the drawing.