2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 11:13 AM by David Nelson

Why does my profile center mate not lock itself?

Matthew Roeseler

When i use the profile center mate, say a rectangle plate on top of a rectangle plate, the top plate will rotate itself even after I have it orientated the right way. I'll be working in a drawing and notice that the plate has rotated by itself, even if the model isn't open. Going along with this, sometimes after using this mate, I will be mating other parts that really have nothing to do with the part that has the profile center mate, yet my new mates will tell me I'm over-defining the assembly. It seems when i suppress the new mate, things are okay, and then when I un-suppress it, things are still okay and the model is NOT over-defined anymore, even though it was telling me it was before i suppressed/un-suppressed. I'd like to know what's going on because I haven't been able to use this useful mate for fear of my models getting messed up and orientated the wrong way.

• Re: Why does my profile center mate not lock itself?
          Tim Smith

Unfortunately, I think this is another great new feature of 2016 that you and I are beta tested for solidworks. I found it while starting a new project, used it extensively, now it get to go back and re mate everything after losing hours of work while on a deadline. I'm sick and tired of being a guinea pig for shit that doesn't work but is released as a functioning tool.

• Re: Why does my profile center mate not lock itself?
            David Nelson

"

Profile Center Mate  automatically center-aligns geometric profiles to each other and fully defines the components.

To create a profile center mate:

1. In an assembly document with two rectangular or cylindrical profiles, click Mate .
            2. In the PropertyManager, under Advanced Mates, click Profile Center .
            3. For Entities to Mate, select the edges or faces that you want to center-align.
            4. In the PropertyManager, you can optionally:  
              • Change the mate alignment by clicking Aligned or Anti-aligned .
              • Change the orientation to Clockwise or Counterclockwise .
              • Offset the two mated entities.
              • For cylindrical profiles, click Lock Rotation to prevent the components from rotating.
            5. Click twice to close the PropertyManager."