8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 3:35 AM by Ron Chappell

Simulation add-in won't start

Akul Kakumani

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I was having some issues with the simulation add in for Solidworks. When I go to tools>add ins>simulation and check it, it doesn't open the simulation tab. I tried opening it from the 'Office Products' tab but it doesn't do anything even when I click on it. And when Solidworks starts, I get an error saying 'add in cannot start, missing component'. I'm using the student edition of the software (Solidworks 2014-15). I tried everything I could, repaired the installation, uninstalled and reinstalled it but nothing seems to work. None of the other students seem to be having this issue. Does anyone have an idea as to what might be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Simulation add-in won't start
          Shaodun Lin

Hi Akul:

Can you try to clean SOLIDWORKS registry when you perform a re-installation?

------------------------------------------

Shaodun Lin

Technical Account Manager - APAC

------------------------------------------

Janko Stellaard

Usually these problems occur when anti-virus blocks things at the installation. I have found a similar problem in the knowledge base:

S-048775

Simulation or Motion is missing from the Tools -> Add-ins menus, but all the files seem to be present in Program Files and browsing to cosworks.dll or cmotionsw.dll enables the add-ins without error. What could the problem be?

The issue is most likely due to restricted user permissions or anti-virus. The information to add the add-ins to the Tools -> Add-ins menu is stored under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT in the registry. It is possible that during the installation, the installer failed to write to these locations or that the user with restricted permissions simply does not have read access to them. An administrator or IT representative should log in with a full Administrator account, disable anti-virus completely, then uninstall and reinstall SolidWorks and Simulation and/or Motion.

So a clean install with the restrictions turned off will probably work. Restictions are the virus-scanner and user account control.

Janko Stellaard

Cadmes BV

The Netherlands

Hakan Karabiyik

Hi Akul,

there was a windows update (KB 3072630) in July.

Error launching SOLIDWORKSand missing Add-ins are the consequences.

If you installed after 15th July, it is possible that the Problem is with this update.

In this case you have to proceed as following,

1. Uninstall SOLIDWORKS
              2. Uninstall KB3072630
                   1. Open Installed Updates by clicking the Start button , clicking Control
                   Panel, clicking Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, clicking View
                   installed updates.
                   2. Select update KB3072630, and then click Uninstall. If you're prompted for an
                   administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
                   confirmation.
              3. Reboot
              4. Reinstall SOLIDWORKS
              Important note: If KB3072630 is uninstalled before attempting to uninstall
              SOLIDWORKS, the SOLIDWORKS uninstall will fail.

H. Karabiyk / SolidLine AG

Ron Chappell

Hi,

Windows 10 has the update "baked in" you will need to follow the process posted by Hakan.

You will also need to find the SLDWorks.exe in the installation folder and set the compatibility mode to Windows 8 then create a shortcut to the executable on your desktop (remove the original). Hopefully everything should then be useable.