3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 10:48 PM by David Mandl

BOM Question

Nathan Bailey

So I have designed a skid that requires sections of pipe to be bolted together.  There are several sub assemblies that make up the top level assembly.  To speed things up, the skid is an subassembly, and I have a bolt pattern that is also a subassembly.  When I create a BOM I the skid to be called out as its assembly number, yet I want the bolt pattern to call out individual part numbers.  Is there a way to do that?

• Re: BOM Question
          David Mandl

Yes.

You can exclude your skid components from a BOM in the component properties of each item in the skid.

Then for your skid and bolt subassemblies, use the "Bill of Materials Options" setting in the configuration manager for each one and make judicious use of the "Hide" and "Promote" options.  (Okay, I've kind of mangled that explanation... I think you can get it from there, but let me know if you want me to clarify)

In the interest of shameless self promotion, I had a blog post on a similar topic once upon a time.  Graphics Systems' SolidNotes: Balloons and Excluding From Bills of Materials

Nathan Bailey

So is there a way I can just set a property in the bolt pattern assembly to make it call out individual parts all of the time and never get called out as a assembly no matter what assembly it goes into?  I make 5-10 of these skids a week with a total of about 600 nuts, bolts, and washers. 

David Mandl

Yes, that would be the "Promote" option in the BOM Options that I mentioned above.  Go to the Configuration Manager, RMB click on a config and choose "Options".  From the Configuration Options, scroll down to "Bill of Materials Options" and choose "Promote".