6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 5:56 PM by Jim Wilkinson

Dialog Box - not helpful

Teodor Boiesan

Probably many of you have seen this dialog box

What a useless waste of time. It appears hundreds of times in a large assembly at save time with no indication about the component that it refers to.

Probably now is the time for Solidworks to redesign all dialog boxes to be more informative, intelligent re-sizable (meaningful lists to re-size properly),group similar actions to all components of the open assembly and more... (this is where you can suggest other improvements.)

Please post your remarks.

Thanks.

• Re: Dialog Box - not helpful
          Glenn Schroeder

It has that little "Don't show again" box in the lower left corner.  Have you selected that, and it comes back anyway?

Teodor Boiesan

Maybe you noticed by now that "Don't show again" box in the lower left corner will retain new settings only if there is a confirmation button on the dialog box to be selected.

A "Cancel" button or simply closing the dialog box will not complete the request for not showing again.

But the main point of this discussion is the missing information in the dialog box: what is the point of providing half the information:

A file is referenced but not identified.

I see that nobody is interested in bringing more intelligence to user interface.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Teodor,

What is the version of software and exact circumstance in which you are running into these dialogs? I don't believe it is intentional that you get this dialog multiple times when saving an assembly and reference files needing to be saved. In SOLIDWORKS 2015, the only time I can get it to show is if I try to save an individual part that is read only and is referenced by another document (in which case, I know the one part I am saving already). In the case of an assembly referencing multiple documents, I instead get a dialog like the following:

SaveAs.png

If I choose Save All, then it gives an individual dialog for each read only part as follows which has the information about the part.

SaveAs2.png

If you can identify the circumstance in which this you are getting the multiple dialogs, then we can look into why it may be happening.

Thanks,

Jim

Teodor Boiesan

Sorry for the delay,

I am working in EPDM environment.

Sometimes when I open a major assembly that references other sub-assemblies that are Read-only. or some original sketch parts have been re-saved ( sketch parts that are used frequently to model a series of other components that are Read-only. ) then at the save time all parts and sub-assemblies that have been refreshed in memory ( even if there is no change to them) require to be saved.

The problem is more evident when several major assemblies are open and share some components.

If I choose not to save Read-only components the message still appears indicating that a "Certain file is being referenced by other documents" but I need to start a saving sequence to find out witch one it is. ( many times it is a file that I know it is read-only - for a reason = other colleague is working on it, or I do not need to update this file for now.)

My question remains: why the dialog box does not indicate the file name in question ? I have to go to the next step to find out and cancel the action at that point.... and this goes on... and on... and on...

Why the dialog box does not have "accept button" to be able to cancel the action for the current assembly save operation? ( to remember "Don't show again" option).

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Teodor,

As I mentioned, This dialog is not supposed to come up in cases where you are working with an assembly/multiple components and hence, the name would not need to be known since it is a single part and you already know the name. So, in direct answer to your question, it is not something we designed for and is intentional, hence why we are not handling the case well. So, we need to track down how to reproduce the case to look into it and design a good behavior. Just adding the name of the file to the dialog will only slightly improve the situation and I think a real solution is something that better handles the specific condition you are running into. That is what the dialogs that I showed are designed to handle by gathering up the list of components and which ones are read only with options on how to handle them. So, it is important to understand the combination of files you have open and their state that is causing the software to not give the consolidated messages, but instead give the individual messages. I'll continue to play around with combinations based on the information that you have already given. Any help you can give in tracking down a fairly simple case to reproduce it would be great. Then we can get it submitted to be looked at to be fixed.

Thanks,

Jim

Arthur McRae

I agree with Teodor. They really need to have a context sensitive part to that that tells you which part you are needing to "Save As".  I've personally found that the Solidworks Explorer is far better at making the copies I need with the context I want.