15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 1:57 PM by Dan Frey

Custom property tab behavior

Huub Van Genugten

Hello,

I am running in some problems with the custom property tab. When i am in a part file its show my part custom properties correctly. Then i want to change something to a cutlist item, the custom property tab switches to my weldments property tab, so far so good.

But when i am done and click on the part file or any feature it wont switch back to my parts property tab. Am i missing an option, or is this a bug?

c.JPG

a.JPG

b.JPG

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Custom property tab behavior
          Dan Frey

I'm going to bump this thread. I have the exact same issue. I have been using SolidWorks and the part, assembly, and drawing property tabs for a long time but just discovered the Weldment custom property tab while doing some work to streamline our company's process of making weldment models.

The Weldment custom property tab is convenient, but if I can't get back to my part properties easily that is a deal breaker to my using it at this point. So far the only way I have found to get back to the Part custom property tab is to click the options button next to "More Properties" at the bottom and then picking the "None" from the drop down list. That is a little annoying to have to do every time I want to edit a cut list property.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Sarah Dwight

I have had the same issue switching from a part to a drawing and my custom property will get stuck on one or the other. I usually just SHIFT+TAB a couple more times until it reloads properly. And when it doesn't I follow Dan's process. However it is not an normal occurrence for me so I assume it is a glitch.

Dan Frey

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your reply. I occasionally see the same issue as you switching between parts and drawings, and the Shift + Tab usually fixes that for me too. This weldment to part switch seems to stick a bit more, and it's consistent. Like the person who wrote the O.P. said, once I click on a cut list item the tab switches to the weldment property tab which is great, but then when I'm done no amount of clicking on anything else or Shift + Tabbing can take it back to the part property  tab. Other than the method I outlined in my last post, the only way I have been able to find to get back to it is to close and re-open the part. And sometimes that doesn't even do it.

I am unsure how new the weldment property tab is. Maybe it's kind of a beta thing still.

Dan Bertschi

I'm getting my feet wet with these Property Tabs this week, so please disregard any noob comments!  Would the template options button at the bottom of the Task Pane permit the switch back to the desired Property Tab?

It produces this dialog, which gives an option to select a new tab.

Maybe that will help...  Good luck.  Mine are simple right now, just part, asm & dwg tabs.  Moving to ePDM very soon, this will get folks used to form filling vs editing the title block on the drawing.  I just wish the keyboard Tab key would jump the cursor to the next field!

Found an answer to my frustration here:

Re: Tab button to cycle through Custom Properties tab

John Stoltzfus

Custom Property Tab Builder is one of the greatest tools in SolidWorks, been using it for years.  If you need help let us know, the guy that helped me the most was JOHN GEORGE 

The only thing I would suggest in setting up.   Think about the design intent, will the Tab Builder be used to gather/compile generic information (for interchangeable parts) or individual, (like Job Shop) once and done. 

Here we work off of ECN's and ECR's so I have a different Tab Builder file for each ECN/ECR, which is much better than a generic file, because I can open an existing file, change all my parameters, such as dates, customer, sizes, work order numbers, revisions etc, which follows that project, then I do a save as different name file.... 

This saves tremendous amounts of time, as the only individual information revolves around, description, machine centers, sizes and a few other properties, the rest are all captured in the save as file. 

One thing to keep in mind when setting up the fields there is a little block that needs to be checked if you want to use the Task Scheduler down the road....

If the other box is checked the Task Scheduler won't work..

Dan Bertschi

Thanks, John

I do use the Task Scheduler, and I did click the Custom Tab button on all my props.  I did this mainly to keep everything in one place.  nice to know it will help in other areas.  We have a very configurable product, but I'm treading lightly on config use here.  New place/people/processes.  I don't want to freak people out, too early in the game. LOL!

John Stoltzfus

When I first started using the Tab Builder I just used the generic type of file and then I would just change all the properties that needed changes.  Here they are a lot more organized and it made much more sense to have individual files for the Tab Builder, however when I started that here I had 1/2 of my selections were the Customs Box and the other half was the Configurations Box, only happen stance, then when I wanted to use the Task Scheduler I couldn't update certain properties, took my Var to figure that one out.  So I am still opening up some files with the tab builder set up that way, so I have to reload it.

Good luck

John Stoltzfus

The other thing I just thought of was -

When making a new part or assembly make sure that all your property tabs are empty in the part/assembly template - Unless you have a part template setup with the same information that is in the Tab Builder..

The issue with keeping stuff in your templates is when you want to change to another tab builder file like you show above, you have to go to the customs property

and delete all the information there and then pick the right tab builder file.  If you don't do that your info won't update properly. 

Dan Frey

Hi Dan,

Yes, that button is the one that Sarah and I were referring to. If I pick "None" from the drop down list I am able to switch back to the part property tab from the weldment property tab. I am hoping that there is a quicker/easier way that doesn't feel like a bug workaround.

If you're just getting started with the property tabs you'll quickly see that when you switch between different types of documents (e.g. part to drawing or part to assembly and back), the custom property tab window (at least MOST of the time) automatically switches between your custom property templates. The issue that the person in the O.P. and I are running into is that once the Weldment cut list property tab (which I think is a fairly new feature in SW) is activated, it is not easy to switch back to the part properties tab.

Good luck with the property tabs! Like John said, they are a great tool overall. I have mine set up so that I can change the material setting right in the tab for parts, toggle different things on and off, and fill out all of the information that I want to eventually appear on the BOM.

Edit: And yes! We have our drawing templates set up so that all of the information comes in automatically. The custom property tab makes things very easy.

Sarah Dwight

I have mine set up so that I can change the material setting right in the tab for parts,

Do you mean you can change the part material from your custom property taskpane???

If so, how?? I have been trying to figure that out forever!

I usually end up with a material field in the custom tab, but that doesn't populate any material info for future analysis. Just my drawing info.

If I could get the CP to link to the material database it would rock!

Fraser Port

Sarah do you mean having the material DB available within cust prop tap like this?

This is how I have my tab builder setup.

Dan Frey

Do you mean you can change the part material from your custom property taskpane???

Yes!

Mine is set up exactly like Fraser's, except that I also have a check box that controls whether that field is available or a custom "Non-standard material" field. If the "Non-standard material" box  is checked, the Material selection as shown above vanishes and is replaced by an "Other Materials" text box where you can type in custom things (for example, we enter the "Material" for parts we purchase as "Purchase." Then our drawing template is linked to that so whatever material is specified (standard or non-standard) is called out in the title block.

Sarah Dwight

Ah! That is so amazingly simple! I kept trying to use a list instead of a textbox because of that little arrow and the functionality I wanted.

Rik Harberink

How did you setup this?

Does the Non-standard-material save into custom prop "Material1" and you have a double prp-link in your drawing? (to Material and Material1?)

Something like this:?

Dan Frey

Hi Rik,

Kind of. Here's what we did.

The MATERIAL field is actually driven by the "NON-STANDARD MATERIAL" check box. If the box is checked, the value MATERIAL is equal to the value in the "OTHER MATERIAL" text field ($PRP:"OTHER MATERIAL"). If the box is unchecked, the value MATERIAL is equal to the SolidWorks material, i.e. SW-Material. The naming conflict is avoided by giving the SW-Material field the heading MATERIAL but the actual property SW_MATERIAL_IS (see the Advanced Options portion of the screenshot).

1.png

Then, the drawing template sheet format just calls out the MATERIAL field.

2.png

Does that help?

PS - for anyone reading this, still looking for any feedback on the O.P.