11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2007 2:59 PM by Kenneth Barrentine

Form Tool

Tony Hayes
      Hello everyone,

I have a sheet metal part that I need to smash into a differentshape. This tool was built about 20 years ago and we a revision tothe part that changes the outside shape at the end. We cannot feedmore material and then trim this shape, so we have to smash thematerial to get the desired shape. I need to create a forming toolthat will smash this material to the desired shape. when I createthis and then put it on the part, the part then wraps around theforming tool. This is not giving the shape I need. I know I willneed to play the profile of the forming to but how do I keep itfrom wrapping  around the form tool. I have attached photos Iwhat I need, what I am starting from and with my current methodgives me.

Thank You very much
      Tony Hayes
        • Form Tool
          Kenneth Barrentine
          in the last jpeg, it looks like the material varies in thickness.
          this will cause issues.

can you attach the part?
            • Form Tool
              Tony Hayes
              Yes it will very in thickness. It needs to get thinner to push thematerial to the outside. The last .jpeg was the look of what I needin the end. We have other dies that do this same thing. I am new toSolidworks sheetmatel. What I am working for is to get the rightform on my forming to to get this profile. When I create the sameform tool that we have on the other dies the then part looks likethe picture the first picture, and not like the last. I am tring mybest to explain this, hope I am making myself clear.

Thanks
              Tony
                • Form Tool
                  Kenneth Barrentine
                  sorry, should have said, "varying material thickness is not allowed with sheetmetal tools".

also, not sure if you are aware of this but, you can not "flatten" the "form tool" to get a blank shape.
                    • Form Tool
                      Tony Hayes
                      Thank you Kenneth for reply by the way.  Yes I do know thesethings about sheetmetal in Solidworks. I think I need to clear thisa little more. I have drawn the finished product as a sheetmetalpart (enclosed), with even thickness. The tool now cuts thematerial to a width of 67.2mm the full length of the part. At theend we need the material to flare out to 72.2mm (2.5mm per side).This will have to be done by thinning the material to push it outthe side in the die. The enclosed file is the finished product. Iam trying to figure out the profile I need on top of my form tool,not for my product model but just for the tool. You will see thatthe part has a step down 2.5mm with a ledge on one side. Thisstep down now is what causing the part to be wide at the end. Yeswe do know that our finished product will be thin but it is the 2.5step down and the ledge that is important for us to get.

Thank you
                      Tony
                        • Form Tool
                          Kenneth Barrentine
                          ok, so you know a little about sheetmetal.
                          i attached a hacked attempt to depict half of the die.
                          (yes there are issues at the transitions)

ideally you would extrude all the features and fillet the corners last.
                          • Form Tool
                            Tony Hayes
                            I am glad that you are helping me on this project. What you havedrawn I have already drawn that portion of the die. What I reallyneed is a forming tool the will smash the material in a previousstage of the die. We cannot change the feed amount and then trimthe outside profile. We have to smash the end to make it wider. Asbefore Solidworks will not handle very thickness in sheetmatel sothat is why I drew the finish product with equal thickness. Thepart as to get wider because of the 2.5mm step down. The step downis the revision that we must now have. Since we cannot trim theoutside after this stage in the die is why I need to smash it tothe right profile. I am not trying to create the form tool for thefinish part model. I am just trying to create the forming tool withthe needed look on top the give me the outside shape we need. Ihave enclosed pictures of a similar product that is produced at oursister company in Austria. That had to do the same thing. Thethinner material at the end is not a issue. When I create a formingtool that looks like theirs it wraps the material aroundeverything, I just need it to push the material outward.

Thank you very much for the help
                            Tony Hayes
                              • Form Tool
                                Kenneth Barrentine
                                not sure what you're really after.
                                the material is squished out but, it's of uniform thickness.

note: for some reason the tool i created wants the face to be opposite of what you drag 'n drop to. if you use the tool i created and after you drop onto part, in fm, right click on form tool sketch, edit sketch plane.

anyway, see attached.