7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2015 9:40 AM by Erik Bilello

Relative View of Assembly in Drawings

Lakhvinder Singh

Hi All,

We all know the feature of Relative View in Weldments is quite useful. But is there any such feature for Assemblies? I have an assembly which has around 300 to 400 parts. In my drawing view I only want 20-25 parts to be shown. I know I can right click on each individual part and Hide component. But I don't want to keep doing that for 300 parts as it will take me the whole day. Other way is to open up the feature tree on the left and do from there, but that is also time consuming.

The Relative View lets us select our required bodies in a very quick and efficient way. I am just looking for something similar which can be done with Assemblies? Any advice please?

Regards,

LS

• Re: Relative View of Assembly in Drawings
          Alin Vargatu

Create display states in the assembly in order to keep visible only the components you need in each drawing view.

BTW, selecting bodies in multibody parts is not limited to Relative Views. Any model view has the same functionality.

Lakhvinder Singh

Alin,

Thanks for the comment. Ok, Display States is helpful. Now consider that my assembly is a 500 part assembly. My requirement is to only show 20 components to display which are in named Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 etc.. If I were using the Display State, I have to go and Hide 480 components/parts one by one. That is an awful lot of time wasted. Is there something that we can display only by "choosing" 20 components (by 20 clicks), rather than going the other way round by right clicking, and then hiding components/parts which we don't want? Currently in Display State I have to choose 480 parts and hide them one by one. That is frustrating. Any advice?

Regards,

LS

Alin Vargatu

Lakhvinder Singh:

I have to go and Hide 480 components/parts one by one.

There is no need to select the components to be hidden one by one.

1. Select the components that are to be visible<

2. Right Click on the empty area of the screen

3. Select Invert Selection

4. Right click again on the empty area of the screen

5. Select Hide.

Erik Bilello

If you are using 2015 I would take advantage of the new "Selection Set" feature and "Invert Selection" (it's been around a long time).

In your assembly select all the parts you want to show in the drawing, right click and select "Invert Selection", right click again and select "Save Selection".

Now up at the top of the feature tree there will be a new folder called "Selection Sets", in the folder will be a Selection Set consisting of everything in the assembly that you did not select at the beginning.

Go to your drawing, in the Drawing View Properties select the Hide/show components tab, then, in the feature tree select the Selection Set for the components you want to hide and you should be good to go.

I'd post some screen shots, but my PC keyboard died and the PC with Mac keyboard combo' has a few peculiarities, I haven't found "Print Screen", among other things.

Look up Selection Sets in help for more info.  I did find that it's much easier to remove items from a Selection Set (right click on the item and "Remove from Selection Set") than it is to add them,so I would err on the side of more than you want at first, then remove the ones you don't want included.  You can also just remove items in the Drawing View Properties Hide/Show tab.

I can see where Selection Sets could be very handy, but I also think it needs a bit of polishing (How about just dragging items in or out of a set?)

Dennis Bacon

Create a new configuration with a display state, then hide all components (box select everything and hide), then use "Show Hidden Components" and select the 25 or so components you want to show. This works for me.