6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 9:29 AM by Greg Thomson

You lack permission to delete this file...

Greg Thomson

It appears I am not able to delete several thousand files with my Administrator privileges?  The Admin account has every possible permission for every possible file, folder, state, transition, bla, bla, bla.

In my case however, I can't delete the file(s) because they were in a state that no longer exists within EPDM.  EPDM's cascade delete of a workflow must have failed and allowed me to delete a workflow, and orphan these files with the states they had once been in.

The usual work around in this case is to rollback the file to a version prior to the orphaned state(s), and then delete.  But, as luck would have it, Version 1 has the orphaned state, so I can't roll-back anywhere (except around on my office chair).

Does anyone have any thoughts?  Voodoo magic perhaps?    I suspect the only way to fix this problem is to get into the EPDM database and surgically recreate the orphaned state or something?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Greg,

EPDM 2014 SP4

• Re: You lack permission to delete this file...
          Ron Chappell

Hi,

As the orphaned state still exists in your workflow do you have delete and destroy permissions on it?

Madhav Joshi

Hi Greg

You mentioned "I can't delete the file(s) because they were in a state that no longer exists within EPDM"

EPDM doesn’t allow to delete a state if  there are any files that passed though  those states. So you should still have those legacy states in your workflow. See if Admin is missing delete and destroy permission on any of  hose. This is option 1 - recommended one.

Second option ( to be used with due care) is flag "ignore permissions in the previous state" that can be set for specific state in Workflow. Note that this is a state specific settings so applicable to all users. I recommend enabling this only for some time when admin can delete the required files and again reset the state

In any case I suggest not to touch DB externally

Regards

Madhav

Greg Thomson

The file history of the files shows them to have been in a state of 'Library WIP'.  Unfortunately the state 'Library WIP' no longer exists in any workflow.  So, I can't set its permissions, nor can I set the "ignore permissions in the previous state flag".

Either EPDM allowed the state "Library WIP" to be deleted (less likely), or I renamed it to something else (more likely).  In either case, I checked that I have all permissions for all states in all workflows, so it shouldn't really matter.

(In the early stages of development, if I couldn't delete a state or workflow, I would rename it to 'Spare' or something, and then re-purpose it when I could.  I'm not sure if you rename a state, if the file's history displays the old state name, or the new/current state name.  I suspect the current name.)

Greg,

EPDM 2014SP4

Madhav Joshi

History always shows the current name so even if you rename a state , the new name now should appear in the history. As "Library WIP" is displayed in history , it must still exists in some workflow. I recommend you contact your VAR AE for support on this as this may involve running some queries to identify which workflow has this state ( assuming it is difficult to identify in UI) and assign appropriate permissions to "Admin" to be able to delete those files.

I still recommend not touching DB externally.

Iftach Priel

Greg,

"Ignore permissions in previous states" should do the trick.

You should probably create a new state called something like "For Delete", mark "ignore permissions in previous states" in it, and make a transition to it with permission only to admin.

Once your files reach this state, you should be able to delete them.

If your files are in multiple workflows, it might be wise to create an "obsolescence" or "Delete" workflow, where you have this "delete state" with "ignore permissions in previous states". then you can link to this workflow from any relevant state in any workflow.

hope this helps...