8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 3:30 AM by Rafael Cervantes

Equation to measure length of a 3D Sketch

Rafael Cervantes

Hi,

As far as I know, I can measure the length by using the MEASURE tool and selecting all the chain, either selecting item by item or chossing the chain option.

I would like to measure the length of a path made in 3D Sketch but using an equation not the Measure tool. Is that possible? Does exist a length function??

• Re: Equation to measure length of a 3D Sketch
          Martin MacDonald

Hi Rafael,

There is an open SPR for creating a dimension for the path length in 3D sketch. You may want to look at this. You would have to use the measure tool to get this at present.

Jamil Snead

If the chain consists of lines and arcs only then you could create a driven dimension for the length of each entity individually. Then in an equation you could add them all up.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

If the sketch entity is one contiguous being, like a spline, you can add a path length dim in the sketch and then create a global var to reference it in Manage Equations.

If the sketch contains multiple entities, then dim each and create a global that adds each of these dims.

Kind of a pain, plus it's not automatic for added/deleted sketch entities. Also, be sure to dim arcs for length.

I've attached a part that has both of these (no arcs) and then multiplies the lengths by 2.

Not the best solution, but...

Cheers,

Kevin

Dennis Bacon

Rafael,, I'm not sure what (feature) you want to use your 3D sketch for but if you convert it to a "fit spline" (with high tolerance) you can then use that in an equation and with "measure" (not the tool) get the total length. In the picture below I began a global variable "B" only to show the Measure from the drop down. This actually places a dimension (total length) on the fit spline. It is not exactly the same as adding up the length of the 3d sketches (lines and arcs) but is really close. Within .002" in my case.

Rafael Cervantes

Hello and thanks for these answers.

Up to now I use the method Kevin explained but the sketch is kind of complex and has many entities which makes that a little bit painful and easy to make mistakes. Anyhow that works for my purpose.

Thanks Dennis, I didn’t know the "fit spline" feature, I tried and that could be another good solution. However, after I used that some other issues raised which I’m still trying to fix. Thanks anyway.

Following this discussion my real purpose is very simple but I found very difficult to implement in solid. I'm trying to place a cable which length is predefined. This cable must be placed from point ‘A’ passing through a cable tie and finishes in the air. (Additionally, I need to measure how much of the cable is hanging after the "internal routing")

I tried the electric routing feature many times and sorry, but it is really a pain, I think this is something solid must still work on. Not easy to use and not easy to make modifications. That's why I found much easier to draw a raw 3D sketch. I can control the last portion of the cable, which is in the air, with a simple equation, making the overall length static. This equation would be even easier if I had a length() function of my sketch, which is how this discussion started.

Thanks

Rafa

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I haven't tested this, but I had another thought on this: use Composite Curve to combine multiple entities for one path length dimension.

Unlike Fit Spline, I don't believe Composite Curve will create an approximation. I think it just connects things up into one curve.

Cheers,

Kevin