1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 10:26 AM by John Stoltzfus

Dwg model into Solidwork 3D Curves or Model

Mousa D

Hi all,

I have designed and sketched a 1D/2D bridge on AutoCAD and saved it as a Dwg. format. (I have attached a word document that contains some pictures of the Lupu Bridge I sketched)

As I have drawn the bridge on AutoCAD, I wanted to import it into Solidworks and make sure that all the cables/hangers and arch ribs ..etc, are connected properly and joint before I can import my model into ANSYS for analysis and optimization. (As I couldn't import my drawing directly into ANSYS.. some other problem I am looking to solve after this one!)

Now that I managed to have my model imported into Solidworks, using the "3D Curves or Model" option, my arch is inclined inwards and thus the cables as well are considered splines.

Coming to my main question, how will I be able to convert my "Imported Curves" into a 3D sketch? where I'll be able to reconnect and fix all the gaps that I have in my bridge.
      There must be a way to convert my bridge as a whole model into a Solidworks sketch and then edit it? I tried the "Convert Entities" option, however it will make me choose a plane and click on every line to copy/sketch it, yet again as I have splines and inclined members (Going into different planes), it will be like creating a whole new bridge again from scratch.

Also, I have tried to convert it into a 3D sketch, however I wouldn't be able to fix the gaps, trim, connect my bridge members .. etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Mousa