4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 10:50 AM by John Stoltzfus

Blank Dimensions

Gabe Redel

Can I draw blank dimensional lines so that I can fill in the text later when I know the exact size?

• Re: Blank Dimensions
          John Stoltzfus

Why not use the SolidWorks dimensions?

You can add a dimension and then go to the dimension property dialog box and delete the dimension or you can over ride the dimension, but I wouldn't recommend it. 

Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum.  You posted this in the Drawings and Detailing section, so I assume you're working with a drawing and not a model?  Drawing dimensions are generally driven by model dimensions, but if you just want a blank dimension it should be possible to over-ride the dimension text and hit your space bar a few times to display a blank value.  Later, when you've entered the correct value in your model you could go back to the Drawing and un-check the Override value box to display the dimension.

Again, this assumes you're working with a Drawing that's referencing a Part or Assembly.  If this isn't the case, and you're sketching and dimensioning directly in a SolidWorks drawing, then one way would be to enter a dimension, give it an arbitrary value to fix the line, then hide this dimension and enter a new driven dimension and repeat the process outlined above.  When you decide on the final dimensions you could show the original dimension and delete the blank one.

I hope this helps.  It's not a workflow I'd normally recommend, but if you really want to show a blank dimension value this should work for you.

Gabe Redel

I think we are not talking about the same thing. But I did get it to do what I wanted. All I did was add the dimensional lines, enter "T" for text, and then put in a few spaces with the space bar to leave the text blank. Thank you for your help.

John Stoltzfus

At least you gave your self a correct answer