4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 12:13 PM by John Stoltzfus

approval in title block

Greg Berkeley

Can someone please inform me the difference between the engineering approval in the title block and the approvals in the rev block? I'm sure my company does it different than most but typically we place the initials of the engineer who approves a drawing from numeric rev (prototype) to rev A (production). However, we also have a rev block that lists rev A and the same info (initials, date). To me it seems redundant, and no one else at the company can really tell me what the difference is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Re: approval in title block
          Deepak Gupta

The title block would have the name of engineer who finally approved it and this will not change.

The revision block carries name of the person who approved any changes in the drawings. Having a A in rev table could be taken as "RELEASED TO PRODUCTION".

Greg Berkeley

Thank you Deepak!

I would like to add one follow up question:

Would you typically have a revision table start at A, or B (assuming using alphabet revs)? Since the title block contains the info for the engineer initials and date of approval it seems redundant to have it also appear in the rev block, though our company always starts with rev A in the rev table. Any further insight would be awesome.

Grazie!

Deepak Gupta

Greg, it depends but I've seen lot of drawings with A in both rev table and title block.

In rev block it says, "Released for production" or something like this. This would let the person knows that drawing was not just started at rev A but had older preliminary revisions too.

John Stoltzfus

As for approvals, this is done differently, here I take a product from concept, sketches pictures etc to the drawing so I initial the Drawn By and the Engineering Approval, which is kind of weird, then my boss initials the Checked By and we also need Manufacturing approval, which is done by that supervisor and also a Sales Approval.  If there is any ECR, then my boss checks and approves that ECR...

Here for new products we start our Rev's at 01 and keep that till the product make a complete round from start to finish, then if there are any prototype Rev updates that moves to 02.... When everything is ok'd for production only then do we bump up to A.