Jonathan Weinraub

Sluggishness with brand new graphics card

Discussion created by Jonathan Weinraub on Aug 3, 2007
Latest reply on Aug 6, 2007 by John Burrill

I recently did a fresh install on aDell PWS390 with Windows XP SP2, all of the latest patchesinstalled, SolidWorks 2007 SP4, an ATI FireGL V7100 graphics cardwith all the latest drivers and one of our designers is noticingsluggishness and lagging with the models he works on.  Hementions that once you had more details to the model, such as theaxis, and what not causes slowness when the model is rotated orzoomed in/out.  He said also that the improvements with thisnew card and the original stock nvidia one dell provided was"moderate". 

I ran 3DMark 2005 and amexperiencing great frame rates on the game demos, while the 2006version has substantial slowness.  Granted this graphics cardis not meant for gaming as that particular benchmarking tool isused for, however, SolidWorks behaves rather slowly.  Afterspending a rather large sum of money on that card, I am surprisedhow little it helped.  Is there any other setting that needsto be looked at?  As I previously mentioned, it is a freshinstall with nothing else on it besides SolidWorks and MicrosoftOffice.  There is a 140 GB RAID-1 Serial ATA hard drive, 2 GBof DDR2 SD-RAM, off the top of my head I can not recall theprocessor speed, but the machine itself is a goodmachine.   I would like to know if there are other thingswe can do so the program can make better use of thecard.

Outcomes