14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 4:03 PM by Matt Schirch

why does solidworks delete files?

Matt Schirch

how come when i save a model as something different, work on it, load a separate model of the same thing and EVERYTHING IS changed.

why doesn't solidworks have support?  why in gods name if i suppress a model in one assembly is it suppressed for ALL assemblies....like yeah that is exactly what i wanted.  how come when i delete something in a sub assembly does it delete it permanently, EVEN after i SAY NO DO NOT SAVE DO NOT SAVE DO NOT SAVE. i love how i work a week on something then in a matter of 30 seconds solidoworks deletes it because it didn't understand why i would want 2 separate models of the same thing..... so i can have an original and have a modified version but no it thinks they are the same model and deletes anything i deleted in anyother. no undo no help no going back to a recovery. i really just wana say ******************************* solidworks.

• Re: why does solidworks delete files?
          Derek Parks

Matt,

It sounds like you need to utilize configurations to solve most of these issues unless I am completely not following. If you have assembly "A" inserted into assembly "B" and you select a part of assembly "A" to be suppressed even though you are working in assembly "B" you are still editing assembly "A". If you want to have multiple options of assembly "A" with different parts suppressed you need to set configurations in assembly "A" to do so. This would give you assembly "A-1", "A-2" etc.

Then when you insert it into assembly "B" you would put as many assembly "A" as you wanted and adjust the configurations in the properties to pick which configuration of each inserted you would like to use.

Using configurations will give you an "original" and a "modified" version within the same file. I hope this explanation is at least a bit clear.

Cheers,

Derek

Jeff Mirisola

Sounds to me like you're doing a 'save-as' versus a 'save-as copy'.

Never have I suppressed a model in one assembly and had it suppressed in all assemblies, in 17 years of using SolidWorks.

When all is said and done, it sounds to me like your workflow is messed up and that you need some training.

Alin Vargatu

Matt Schirch:

how come when i save a model as something different, work on it, load a separate model of the same thing and EVERYTHING IS changed.

why doesn't solidworks have support?  why in gods name if i suppress a model in one assembly is it suppressed for ALL assemblies....like yeah that is exactly what i wanted.  how come when i delete something in a sub assembly does it delete it permanently, EVEN after i SAY NO DO NOT SAVE DO NOT SAVE DO NOT SAVE. i love how i work a week on something then in a matter of 30 seconds solidoworks deletes it because it didn't understand why i would want 2 separate models of the same thing..... so i can have an original and have a modified version but no it thinks they are the same model and deletes anything i deleted in anyother. no undo no help no going back to a recovery. i really just wana say ******************************* solidworks.

What version of SolidWorks are you using? This is important in order to provide an answer to your question.

Jeremy Grigsby

Are you saving new parts you create inside your assemblies? I believe it warns you if you do so. I'd second investigating configurations and save a copy. They make everything work as it is designed to work.

Mike Price

"how come when i save a model as something different, work on it, load a separate model of the same thing and EVERYTHING IS changed."

Just to be clear here, you are saying you save "CAR" as "TRUCK", work then on "TRUCK", then open up "CAR" and everything now looks like "TRUCK"?  What you are saying here is probably not possible unless I have made a mistake with save as......

"why doesn't solidworks have support?"

Technically they do.  Other than obvious bugs, problems are generally solved by a VAR or more frequently probably by people here on the forum.  However, "support" doesn't always mean good support.

"why in gods name if i suppress a model in one assembly is it suppressed for ALL assemblies....like yeah that is exactly what i wanted."

We are not told "on the 7th day God created Solidworks and saw that it was good"  Just like everything in life, things are no longer "good".  However, I have never seen an independent part being suppressed in one assembly impact its use in other assemblies, for ProE, Inventor, Unigraphics, SW, or yes, even Alibre.......

"how come when i delete something in a sub assembly does it delete it permanently, EVEN after i SAY NO DO NOT SAVE DO NOT SAVE DO NOT SAVE."

If you have an independent part (it is it's own part file) and it is in an assy, if you delete that part in the assy, the part will not be deleted.  If you do not save the assy after you delete the part, your part will still be there next time you open your assy.

"i love how i work a week on something then in a matter of 30 seconds solidoworks deletes it because it didn't understand why i would want 2 separate models of the same thing..... so i can have an original and have a modified version but no it thinks they are the same model and deletes anything i deleted in anyother. no undo no help no going back to a recovery."

Is it possible you are dealing with some auto-recovery issues?

"i really just wana say ******************************* solidworks. "

Not sure what ********************** stands for, but I believe your sentiment is expressed by anyone who has used any CAD package before...

With all that said, there is a lot of experience and you'll see many people want to help.  However, if you don't really want to be helped, you could just post something like **********************Solidworks for your title and see how long it takes till an admin removes it

By the way, remember that we are CAD monkeys by choice.  You are always two goats away from goat farming.

Greg Hynd

There is one little check box you need to tick when saving a copy of a part to work on... save as copy. use this and rename the new part when you do so and your problems will be solved.

Providing you don't change a sub assembly that is used in both parts.

Tony Cantrell

Try using the pack n go and you can rename all parts at once.

John Stoltzfus

Like some of the others here, I also have used SW for a long time and yes, things didn't go as planned many a day, however let me tell you a little secret....

It's all about design intent, prior to that it's all about knowing the industry your part needs to be manufactured from, prior to that it's all about training for you to use the software to the best of your abilities, prior to that it's all about chilling the ***************************** out, prior to that it's all about growing up..........

Got it????

Alin Vargatu

Matt, you might want to do a quick remote session with an experienced AE from your VAR. I am pretty sure that they will be able to quickly find out what should be done differently. Even better, consider taking the Assembly Modeling course, if you have not done it yet.

Matt Schirch

i dont even know where to begin, go from the top. Alin............no. 2014, and no. mike "your killing me alin" really???? people its a solidworks post, you shouldn't be competing for biggest ****. continuing mike, your first comment was right on the money,  saved car and truck as different models. no pack and go, no save as copy. SAVE AS..... truck lol. changed car i dont get how or why. seems stupid. not a cad monkey so sucks to be you......work in automation so i lay out my machines and conveyors before i do it in real life so i get a sense of how much space i have. and jeff buddy bro guy, 17 years???? lol what do you do make square blocks?? send me some links to some 500+ assemblies you've made that give you the right to tell someone they should need some training. like this isn't the first time i've seen parts disappear but according to your 17 years of experience THIS NEVER HAPPENS AND IS IMPOSSIBLE. yeah....... lol 

jeremy i'm working on an assembly and delete a part in it, it asked me do you want to save. NO i dont saves anyway. cancel, saves anyway.

john its sad to wonder what you do all day where your high point of the day was coming on to a solidworks forum and instead of posting nothin, posts a hateful comment and continues to make non-helpful comments. grow up dude. your rude and if you dont have anything helpful to say why even say it.

Its like NO ONE here has ever worked on something for a long period of time and have it deleted. well its frustrating if you didnt know. yeah i was angry and i swear when i get angry. doesnt mean im 5, i know plenty of old marines whom do nothing but swear i dont yell at them grow up. post still alive with a ********solid works in it. yeah freedom of speech for a product that is kind of expensive and with that large expense comes with no help and people whose sole purpose in life is to talk down to people and think they are 1000 time better.

to wrap this up tony and greg THANKS, the only people who had a helpfully comment without being a ****!!!