5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 12:00 PM by Jamil Snead

Fonts in Placard (label) drawings?

Dillon Martin

I am trying to remake an placard drawing (these are just labels or stickers) in Solidworks (it used to be made in AutoCAD). What I have been doing is extruding a very thin block and then extrude cutting the text into it, using a design table due to the large number of these placards.

The problem is when I put this into a drawing Solidworks is trying to print this text as a bubble letter or the outline of the letter as opposed to regular text.Is there a way to make the text look like it did in AutoCAD.

Here is the orignal drawing:

Original in AutoCAD.JPG

and here is the result when using the extrude cut.

Using extrude cut.JPG

This is the model that I used to make this example

Model.JPG

In addition is there a way to get the titles below each placard to auto populate. The text printed on it is a configuration property of the part and every other dimension is already in a design table.

• Re: Fonts in Placard (label) drawings?
          Dillon Martin

Also, all of the placards were placed in an assembly before going in the drawing in order to get the Bill of Materials to populate correctly.

Jamil Snead

I think one option you have is to use a single line font like OLF SimpleSansOC and just leave it as a sketch (no extrude or anything). Then you can just show the sketches in the drawing.

For the auto-populating note, I think it would be possible to make a configuration specific custom property containing the note text, and this can be drive by a design table if you wish. Then you can link the sketch text to the custom property (I think - I have never done it but I'm pretty sure I read that you can). Finally, on the drawing you can link the note text to the same custom property with the option selected to use custom property from "model in view to which the annotation is attached".

Dillon Martin

The problem is that these need to show a specific font (Almost all of them are Arial).

I did link the sketch text to a custom property, and then used this text to make the extrude cut. Note that even if we did not extrude the font and instead showed the sketch in the drawing we would still get the same result.

For auto-populating the notes I was able to get this to work, but I had re re-position all of them by hand; however, this is still much better than typing all of them out.

Jamil Snead

I can think of a couple different approaches you might want to try out, but none of them is ideal.

1. Instead of cutting the text into the part model, place a note in the drawing with the label text and position it over the view of a blank label. Then it will be solid black just like other text on the drawing. The drawbacks are that then you don't see the text in views of the assembly, and also it might be a challenge to keep the note centered in the views.

2. You could make the part pure white and then change the color of the extrude cut feature to black. Then in your drawing set the view to shaded with edges. Then the text will be filled in black. However I think the text will still look funny because of the thickness of the text outline. You could set it to shaded without edges but then you wouldn't see the label outline. You could convert entities with the outline of the label to get sketch lines.