7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 1:29 PM by Greg Thomson

EPDM search reference

Brian McEwen

I wrote this up as a reference, and thought I would share. I'll leave it as a Word document (3 pages), so feel free to edit for your own purposes.  It is a bit too much for most users, so not a great quick reference. For that it would be better reduced to one page, which I may do at some point.

There could be mistakes, but I have run quite a few test searches to figure it out. 

I covered search operators and some idiosyncrasies of EPDM and Windows searches.

Hope it helps.

Brian

[originally posted Aug 4, 2015]

• Re: EPDM search reference
          Donovan Huffaker

Thank you Brian.

Greg Thomson

Brian, within your document, you refer to an 'advanced search syntax', and that it is only available to Filename, Description, ECO and Numbered variables...  what are you referring too here?  Predefined EPDM Variables?  We don't have?

Please explain.

Greg,

EPDM 2014 SP4

Brian McEwen

Ah, I can see why that is a bit mysterious.

By advanced syntax I just mean things like using an asterisk for a wildcard, or an exclamation point for NOT.

These types of characters (operators) will receive special treatment only in certain EPDM search fields - they work for fields that search a single user-defined variable of your choice. "Description", "ECO" (engineering change order number) and "Number" may be bad examples to include in this document because that was what they were called at one company.  But you may have analogous fields.  Most companies have a part number field - which is what the "Number" field was about.

Everyone likely has a Filename search field, and the operators will work in that.  On the other hand, if you try to use a wildcard in a State search, then the search will actually look for the asterisk, it will not treat it as a wildcard. 

I hope that is clear.

Greg Thomson

All I know is nothing seems to work for me except *.

A description for a typical part of ours might be "BOLT,1.00X1.25,NC,SCS,GA,BL".  If I search for bolt, *bolt*, or bolt* I nicely get them all.

If I try a more advanced search like '"bolt"',  +bolt, or 'bolt 1.00 GA' I get nothing.  I'm nervous our descriptions currently have no spaces, and commas (,) aren't being treated as whitespace.  Hence, non of the individual key words actually exist.  I'll have to specifically test if that's the case.

Greg,

EPDM 2014 SP4

Brian McEwen

I don't know of a plus sign being a search operator in EPDM searches.

I don't think single quotes are an operator either.

If I try a more advanced search like '"bolt"',  +bolt, or 'bolt 1.00 GA' I get nothing.  I'm nervous our descriptions currently have no spaces, and commas (,) aren't being treated as whitespace.

What would you expect <+bolt> to do?

By:  'bolt 1.00 GA'Do you mean typing that whole string with single quotes?  <'bolt 1.00 GA'> or <bolt 1.00 GA>?

If you type it without single quotes I would expect a ton of hits since it should be an OR search.

<"bolt"> I would expect no hits. That would mean the file name variable would have to be exactly and only that.

As far as whitespace - as mentioned EPDM finds embedded strings, so it should not matter that you do not have spaces between words, and how it treats the commas (it treats them like any standard character).

Try something like:

1) <*bolt?1.00?GA*>  (with or without the starting asterisk in your case)  (also try to put in * where the ? are shown).

2) <BOLT,1.00>

3) <"BOLT,1.00X1.25,NC,SCS,GA,BL.sldprt">

4) I don't know if quotes work with wildcards after... but could also try <"BOLT,1.00X1.25,NC,SCS,GA,BL"*>

5) <Bolt*SCS*>

Hope that helps.

[[Edit: Sorry, I forgot you were searching Description and not Filename, so ignore the stuff about .sldprt and file extensions. ]]