3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2015 2:14 PM by Deepak Gupta

How do you manage users settings when upgrading to new Version?

Brian Hoerner

Folks,

The clearer question is:

When you upgrade to a new release of SolidWorks, so say upgrading from SW2014 to SW2015 (but could be any upgrade scenario), do you have users create a new settings (.sldreg) file, or do you let them update/run the current file for the newer version, then save the settings file for the latest release?

Let me know if you need clarity.

Thanks,

Brian

• Re: How do you manage users settings when upgrading to new Version?
          Deepak Gupta

Though it should respect the current settings but here is what I do to keep same settings.

1. Make a copy of the current settings using copy settings wizard.
          2. Create admin image of the new version.
          3. Edit the image and set the option to use the settings from the reg file.
          4. Install via image.
              Brian Hoerner

Hey Deepak,

Does this not still keep the document default settings "file locations" that default to the previous versions folders?  Things in the "System Options" "file  Locations" like where BOM template Folder, Costing Report Template Folder, Weldment Profiles etc. are pointing to?

We "Upgraded" to SW2015 from SW2014, all of the original default folder locations that SW points to in the original install in the "Options" "Systems" "File Locations" such as noted above still point to SW2014 folders in the sldreg file after running the restore from copy settings wizard and selecting the .sldreg file from SW2014, and telling it to restore for SW2015.  So now I have to either manually change all of those pointers, or use notepad to edit the registry file to change 2014 to 2015.

I can understand for the most part why just running the restore and telling it to update to SW2015 settings is a nice idea, and why it would change those pointers to new locations, but, because of that it almost seems that the best method will be to create new sldreg files at each new version upgrade.

Is this clear enough or do you need more info.

Just trying to see how others handle this.

Brian

Deepak Gupta

For me, I tend to stay away from default locations in most cases for one version. For e.g. my templates are on a different folder than what you get when doing a fresh install. So are the the table templates and other things. This way I need not to worry for changing anything when upgrading.

In case of multiple versions installed, I would create folders for each version. So for 2014 I've 2014 folder with sub folders for various items. For 2015, I'll make a copy of it and rename the main folder to 2015 and then after doing a reg copy, I edit that file and rename from 2014 to 2015. This way I can easily use both version. Hopefully I've confused you enough.