3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 8:19 PM by Adrian Velazquez

Version of file, clarification needed

Tim Turpin
      Need clarification here.

Assy A created using parts X, Y, Z. All files (assy and parts) are checked in and are version stamped at 1/1.

Next check out Z, make modifications and check in Z. Z is now at 2/2.

Next look at Contains Tab for A. Shows the following structure:

A (1/1)
      X (1/1)
      Y (1/1)
      Z (1/2)

Next Preview A. Preview shows parts at the above version.

Next Check A (only). Open A and you are prompted to rebuild assy. Regardless of selecting yes or no, assy A opens with Z at (2/2).

Why? A (1/1) is made with Z version 1 not 2. I understand that check out gets the latest version of the file but I did not check out Z thus I don't want its latest version. If A was not checked out and simply opened as read only it gets the desired results.

Local cache was cleared, Get Latest Version not set in Admin and was not selected for any part. Did not select Get version for Z.

Note: In all actuality, chances are I do actually want the latest version. However, if I want to check out the assy with the parts at the version when assy was created, it is difficult to get those results.

Your thoughts and clarifications are appreciated.

Thanks, Tim...
        • Version of file, clarification needed
          Jeff Sweeney

When you opened the assembly you got version 2 of Z because thatwas the version on your hard drive. Clearing the cache doesn't makeany difference because by default PDMWorks Enterprise will alwayspopulate your cache with the latest version. You will need to getthe proper version of Z either by picking on the file itself or bychoosing to get the version of the assembly and checking to ensureyou are also getting Z at the proper version.

IMHO, I think Enterprise should make it a little more obvious whenyou open an assembly and you do not have the proper versions of theparts...yet most of the time I do want the latest version. So here isan enhancement request that I hope everyone submits: "In the taskpane, with an assembly open, designate via special color or asymbol whenever a child of the assembly is not of the version theassembly was last checked in with"  What do you think? I writethe enhancement requests; you sign 'em!

• Version of file, clarification needed
            Joy Garon
            When you open the file, you always get the local version. If thereis nolocal version of the file, you get the latest version from thefile vault.To retrieve an assembly as built, you must use theGet... command toretrieve the correct version of the assembly andits references.To retrieve the latest version of an assembly andthe latest version of itscomponents, you must use the Get LatestVersion command toretrieve the assembly and its references.
            • Re: Version of file, clarification needed
              Adrian Velazquez

We have a lot of problems with this... We had the setting to force users to get Latest Versions always, turns out SolidWorks and Enterprise don't agree on what the "Latest Version" is (when Cached is not Cleared).

IMHO, I think their should be an option "Open in SolidWorks the way Enterprise is seeing it, regardless of what I have Cached".

We have enough reasons not to allow users to open Versions prior to the "As Built", or Latest. t's been a nightmare trying to get users to understand all this reference concepts.