7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 2:59 PM by Scott Harvey

Hole callout and dual dimensions

Nicolas Ziegler

Hello,

I don't know if it started when we switched from SW2013 to SW2015 or if someone has modified the drawing templates but lately I have been really annoyed by the hole callouts.

We use dual dimensions. It is not perfect but most of the time we get what we want to show. If we ust use the smart dimension tool and add the tolerance the displaying of the value is fine.

When we use the hole callout it gets strange. The imperial and metric get mixed and it can be confusing to read with imperial value, metric value, imperial tolerance, metric tolerance.

callout.jpg

I can't find how to display an hole callout the same way as a smart dimension with imperial value, imperial tolerance, metric value, metric tolerance.

Any suggestions?

• Re: Hole callout and dual dimensions
          Kenneth Barrentine

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before.

This might be a bug, I would report this to your VAR.

I'm on 2015 SP2.0

HoleCallout is what you want to use because it gives the instance number (quantity).

I searched thru the "What's New.pdf" for past 4 releases (2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015) and could not find anything related to this.

I see a couple of things on your dimensions that are unusual,

1. +/+, there is no minus
          2. inch dims should not have leading zero

Hole_Callout.jpg

Scott Harvey

I just sat on a "Whats New 2016" and this has been enhanced to keep the tolerance next to its perspective units.

I was curious so I opened my 2013 and it acts the same as 2015 for me.  I wonder how you got your 2013 to do this.

Nicolas Ziegler

Maybe it was already there in 2013 and I had not noticed... But the thing is that I have several drawings that displays it correctly, if I delete the dimension and add the hole callout again it gets the mixed imperial and metric. I can't explain why it was correctly displayed on some older drawings. I am not sure if they have been created with 2013 or 2015.

Scott Harvey

Do me a favor cause I want to know if you can do this prior to 2016.  Click on the Hole Callout that is correct in 2013.  This will test whether someone manually created this from a smart dimension or its a hole wizard callout.

You can't type in <DIM> into a hole callout note.  The code is actually <hw-diam>.  So if that note has one or the other it will tell you which note it is.

The last picture shows me typing <DIM> into a Hole Callout.  It just disappears.

Also the Thru code is <hw-thru> because its launching from the end condition box of the Hole Wizard feature.  If they manually typed Thru All or Thru thats another hint they manually typed.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Nicolas Ziegler

OK it is not an hole callout as I can type <DIM>. The person that made the drawing has probably modified it but don't remember doing it...

smart.jpg

callout.jpg

Maybe it has always been like this and I never noticed. We have not used dual dimensions for long. We started just before moving from 2013 to 2015.

I hope that indeed it will be enhanced in 2016! Any suggestion for a temporary workaround? If there a way to do it with modifying the calloutformat.txt?

Scott Harvey

It is already apart of the Beta Version which isn't the final say but don't see why they would take it out now.  I just did it.

As for a work around I'm thinking smart dimensions is the work around.  You can use format painter to copy one style to the other for speed.  i looked at the calloutformat.txt file and didn't see any mention on tolerancing anyways.  I feel like its hard wired deep into the system but I'll hold my tongue.  There's someone that probably knows how to do it, but not me

Capture.JPG

Tony Cantrell

It sounds like someone modified the "calloutformat" in your pror version.