16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2016 2:26 PM by Dan Pihlaja

keyboard shortcut for edit function

Marc Hervouet-Botta

in a part creation tree, each function can be edited via right click and context menu..

i find this a bit long , and id like to use a keystroke shortcut instead .

only under customisation / keyboard shortcut , i cannot find  any  'edit function ' command . ..

does it exist under another name  ?

• Re: keyboard shortcut for edit function
          Mark Kaiser

How is SW supposed to know what to edit?  A sketch, a feature, etc.?  You would need an edit button, then select what to edit, so I do not see how this is quicker than the way it is already done?

John Kamin

What is it that you want to edit?  If you want to edit a sketch, you can apply a shortcut to the insert sketch command.  I would use insert sketch rather than edit sketch because it works for both insert and edit.

Glenn Schroeder

Here's another option.  Set up the Insert Sketch command as a Mouse Gesture.  If you pre-select a sketch and activate it, it will put you into Edit Sketch mode.  If you pre-select a Plane then it will open a new sketch on that Plane.  And it also works to save and exit the sketch from either situation.

If you are insistent on having a keyboard shortcut instead, then use John's suggestion.  However, while the keyboard shortcut will insert or edit a sketch, it won't save and exit the sketch like the Mouse Gesture will.

John Kamin

Actually the keyboard shortcut will also save and exit the sketch.  The command is the same whether you select it from a drop down menu, from an icon tray, from a keyboard shortcut or from a mouse gesture.

John Kamin

I love keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures - I have them for almost everything, and I set them up in a way that they are easy to remember, such as L for line, Ctrl+L for construction line, E for extend, T for trim, O for offset, etc.  Then, I set them up in a way that allows me to combine operations, such as, if I Ctrl select a construction line and other sketch geometry to mirror, since I already have the Ctrl button pressed, I just keep it pressed and press the M key at the same time to mirror.  That leaves the M key on its own open for the Mate command in assembly mode.  The other nice thing is, you can go from one command to another without having to exist the command, such as, you can extend and trim by selecting E and extending your lines and then selecting T without getting out of the command and it will automatically switch to the Trim command.  You can also trim from the extend command or extend from the trim command by dragging and dropping.  What I mean by that is, if you are in the trim command and you want to extend one line to another line, all you have to do is left-click and hold on the line that you want to extend, and drag and drop onto the line that you want to extend to.  There are a lot of little time saving tricks like that in SolidWorks.

Scott Harvey

FYI to edit a feature, the shortcut command is "Definition" under the "Edit" category.  So if click a boss extrude or sweep or whatever and hit this shortcut key it opens the feature.  Don't think anyone said that.

I have "H" as edit sketch and "J" as edit Definition.  S is my sketch shortcut.  I use all 3 so if I'm looking at the feature I can click it and immediately hit H or J to edit it without going back over to the tree.  It's interesting to see others use Insert Sketch as edit Sketch.

John Kamin

I just added edit sketch to Ctrl+S and kept S as it was.  I can use S to edit a sketch that is visible in the design tree or window and to close out a sketch, and I can use Ctrl+S to edit a sketch by clicking on a feature in the design tree or in the window.  That could be useful, thanks...

I started on AutoCAD R12, DOS version, so I got used to using a lot of keyboard commands and I got very quick at it.  I like using keyboard commands in SolidWorks because it does allow me to do things very quickly and minimize mouse travel.  I almost never go into the menus and rarely use icons.  I have a 3D mouse, but I also almost never use it.  I find it to be gimmicky.  It's cool to fly around, but it's not really useful in my opinion (just my opinion).

Marshall Wilson

Thanks Scott! I think you're comment is the correct answer for the original question.  I was looking everywhere for the "Edit Feature" command in the customization menu. Edit Definition is perfect! Hooray. Key-command set and time will now be saved!

marshall