54 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 1:17 PM by Judy Wilson

Undo works like Rewind?

J. Mather

Well a new semester is about to start and I have a question about behavior I have seen happen to several students that I cannot reproduce.

At some point they are working along on a model and hit Undo and SolidWorks continues to undo everything step-by-step until there is nothing left.

It's like they hit a rewind button.

It is kind of funny to watch it happen, the student reaction is stoppppp  - but not so funny for the student who hasn't saved their work.

What's going on?  Anybody else seen this behavior?

• Re: Undo works like Rewind?
          Rick McDonald

Could it be a bad mouse?

I have seen this on some applications that I have run recently, when you gently hit the left mouse button the switch "Bounces" and sends multiple button presses to windows.

I would expect this condition to be seen at other times also if this was the case - not just on the undo.

When I have seen this is was on cheap mice that were included with the PC when purchased and usually it is fixed after the mouse takes a flight into the trash can an a better mouse is installed.

I would expect most applications to not allow multiple triggers from a mouse to be acted upon it the triggers are only a few milliseconds apart, but I have seen the condition, so it is possible.

Just a thought!

J. Mather

Rick McDonald:

... left mouse button the switch "Bounces"

Ha! That gave me some ideas and I think I figured it out.

Well back into the last century I did some machine level programming where I would add delay to filter out bounce.

If I am right, this isn't really a mouse button bounce problem - but more of a case where the students are "getting too fast".

If you click and hold left mouse button on Undo and drag your mouse out to the graphics window before letting up - nothing happens.

That is because the command is actually executed on mouse-up, not on mouse-down.

So, you get pretty good and fast.

But instead of hitting undo - in haste you accidentally hit the down arrow next to Undo.

And because you are now so fast, you've already started out the graphics window before you let the button up.

Now you have highlighted all previous steps to undo, and when you let go - watch the fun happen.

Undo Multiple.png

Zac Evans

Is it always on the day a big assignment is due? If so I think we all know what's really going on...

Deepak Gupta

Ask them to use the key board shortcut and check if they see same behavior.

Jim Weatherly

There is nothing funny about this!

This just happened again!

I am not a student.

I get paid to produce and I am working with complex surfaces.

I cannot explain to my boss that my computer just disintegrated the last 2 hours of work.

HE WANTS RESULTS AND MY JOB DEPENDS ON IT!

THIS NEEDS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troy Starkey

Me too man.  Happens to me about 2-4 times per month.  Been going on in all versions of SolidWorks for as long as I can remember. I use control Z, never use the icon.  But I've also seen this happen by X-ing out of a feature or sketch you're editing.  Never been able to reliably get it to repeat with a step-by-step procedure.  Does seem to happen more often while editing a part from an assembly that's open in the background.  Also happens with about the same frequency to every user where I work. It's not isolated.

Adam Worsham

I see that's it's been a while since this has been commented on. However, I'm experiencing the same thing. I rarely use the undo button. As Troy mentioned, I see this about 2-4 times per month. The last time was while exiting out of a sketch. I know my mouse has had recent issues; double left clicking. Has anyone seen a resolution to this?

BTW... I know it's 2017, but I'm still using 2015 SP5. 

Francisco Martínez

I have seen it , however my old job scarred me so severely I automatically hit save every 5 minutes.

(the workstation I was assigned to crashed every 3-4 minutes, I showed the owner and he did nothing)

It has caught me a couple times and my work goes into rewind.

I really just thought it was something I accidentally hit, untill I saw this.

Jim Weatherly

I wish I had better news but this did not resolve until I went to 2016.

I have not had the problem since. We are on 2016 sp5 and are about to go to 2017.

David Nelson

Old and slow here so it has not got me, but have seen it happen.  It is kind of funny when not happening to you.  But Solid works has paid me back with corrupt files.

Maha Nadarasa

I can remember my professor discouraged us to use UNDO button this can undo required work as well but I saw he was using it some occasions. In my view it has to come with experience.

Adam Worsham

Thanks! That was really helpful. We've been holding off on 2017 because of the corrupt file issue. However, it looks like it's been resolved in SP3 and we'll probably take the plunge in the next couple of months. Thanks again!

Alex Lachance

The guy I work with says when he clicks on it he sometimes sees a pop-up that says something around the line of ''api-undo-clear''

Could be a cause? Dunno!

Alex Lachance

This requires attention.

Alex Lachance

Alin Vargatu Hey Alin, have you ever heard of this?

Marcus Dimarco

Undo in general is a broken feature in my opinion that no one should count on for anything.  If you get lucky and it works for you once in a while then you should be happy, but using undo has real risks as there is no "redo" button (edit: looks like there is a hidden redo button).  Also undo doesn't work right if there has been saving involved it appears.  Sometimes I make a change, the undo button is available, then after I save it the undo button disappears.  All in all I think the button should be renamed "feeling lucky?" so people know the true nature of this feature.

Dennis Dohogne

The undo button can only work up to the last save point.  The default toolbar menu is setup to show the Undo button and not the Redo, but you can easily edit the toolbar to include the Redo button so it isn't "hidden" to you.  The little dropdown arrow next to the Undo or Redo buttons will give you a list of the actions in the stack that it can act upon and these are in the order of the most recent at the top.  You can easily go down the list to any action there and Undo or Redo the last actions up to and including that one.  It works well, even if the length is limited to I think only the last ten actions.  Rick Becker had an idea in the Top Ten this year asking for unlimited Undo.

Like many functions in SWX, or in any software for that matter, if we take the time to understand them we can more fully use them to our advantage and not be disappointed.

Rick Becker

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

.... Rick Becker had an idea in the Top Ten this year asking for unlimited Undo.

Thanks for the mentionDennis.

I Resolutely Stand that this is, and should be, the #1, Top of the List, Imperative, Urgent and Paramount Bug Fix/Feature Add/Enhancement/Improvement that Dassault/SolidWorks can give to us Users/Customers/Patrons.

Here is my Top Ten Idea...

Undo/Redo - Un-Limited/Un-Restricted

Would like to have a true Undo and Redo function similar to many other CAD systems/programs.

Within a given session (session defined as the period between opening and closing (not just saving) a file) have the ability to step back, one-by-one, each and every command (Undo), and, have the ability to step forward, one-by-one, each and every command (Redo).

Alex Lachance

They're still broken though. We've still had the function undo more then 1 thing for no reason when done with CTRL-Z.. This thread has plenty of people experiencing this and there are other threads about the same thing too. Everyone I work with gets it to the point that we do not want to use the undo. It isn't repeatable, it happens sometimes, other times it doesn't. I tried to show it to my VAR a few years ago and couldn't reproduce it right in front of him. Perhaps J. Mather thought it was because of the bar but it isn't, there is more to this. When the bug does happen, the bar is empty and white. I know this because I clicked on the arrow to see steps, wasn't able to see them so I did CTRL-Z and lost a bunch of steps after that.

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/532738#comment-532738

The redo doesn't work 90% of the time after undoing something either. What is there to understand exactly?

Alex Lachance

This is the message that comes up in the undo when the bug does happen.

Jim Wilkinson a little help here?

Jim Wilkinson

Alex Lachance wrote:

This is the message that comes up in the undo when the bug does happen.

Jim Wilkinson a little help here?

API is the Application Programming Interface; the architecture that runs macros and programs within SOLIDWORKS. I am not familiar with how running macros or API programs may interfere with the list of functions to undo. Alex, since I know that you do run API programs at your company, this is certainly something to try to correlate to when the problem is occurring and you should probably get your reseller involved to help troubleshoot it.

Thanks,

Jim

Alex Lachance

The API program we do run has no incidence on drawings unless they are generating PDF or DXF. The problem isn't reproduceable so it is no use reporting it to my reseller, kind of like an intermittent problem on a car, yaknow? Which is why I am asking more directly.

Scott Stuart Where is that journal you speak of located at? I didn't know there was a log made by SolidWorks about the actions.

If you're speaking of doing a SolidWorks RX, I would need to permanently run SolidWorks RX in order to fall upon it. I can go on 3 weeks without getting it and sometimes get it 5 times in an hour.

Scott Stuart

The journal records all of your actions, similar to recording a macro, but it records everything you've done in the current session. As soon as the problem happens, stop what you're doing and immediately look at the journal and the last line should be the undo/rewind action.

Where your journal file is stored is dependent on your settings, but it is usually located in

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SolidWorks\<solidworks version>\swxJRNL.swj

It's a text file, so you can open it with any text editor. The AppData folder is hidden in Windows by default, so you may have to type that part of the path instead of browsing like normal.

A regular undo looks like this (in solidowrks 2017):

Part.EditUndo2 1

The 1 is the number of actions undone, so undoing 8 actions (on purpose) looks like this:

Part.EditUndo2 8

I'm curious to see if the buggy one looks similar or completely different.

Alex Lachance

Hey Scott,

Just got the bug, journal is attached.

This is what the guy did prior to getting the bug:

Saved his document(clears the undo list)

did a balloon

Did a dimension

Undo removed both

End of log screenshot:

Wayman John

Scott Stuart wrote:

The journal records all of your actions, similar to recording a macro, but it records everything you've done in the current session. As soon as the problem happens, stop what you're doing and immediately look at the journal and the last line should be the undo/rewind action.

Where your journal file is stored is dependent on your settings, but it is usually located in

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SolidWorks\<solidworks version>\swxJRNL.swj

It's a text file, so you can open it with any text editor. The AppData folder is hidden in Windows by default, so you may have to type that part of the path instead of browsing like normal.

A regular undo looks like this (in solidowrks 2017):

Part.EditUndo2 1

The 1 is the number of actions undone, so undoing 8 actions (on purpose) looks like this:

Part.EditUndo2 8

I'm curious to see if the buggy one looks similar or completely different.

Scott,

I just went to find my journal file, purely out of interest, only to find it hadn't been modified since February 26th! What have I done to deserve that?

Capture.JPG

SW2017, SP5

Windows 10 Pro.

John

Scott Stuart

John, go into regedit and confirm that's where it's saving that file. The node to check is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Solidworks\Solidworks 2017\ExtReferences

and the key is "SolidWorks Journal Folders".

Here's mine:

Capture.PNG

Another possibility, if you ever get this message, then your journal isn't going to work:

Capture2.PNG

Wayman John

Scott Stuart wrote:

John, go into regedit and confirm that's where it's saving that file. The node to check is

Here's mine:

Capture.PNG

Another possibility, if you ever get this message, then your journal isn't going to work:

Capture2.PNG

Scott,

Thank you.

Interestingly, this is what I found:

Capture.JPG

Hmmm!

It's amazing what you find left behind, after Solidworks has been uninstalled and reinstalled, several times.

John

Alex Lachance

This is why it is imperative to do a clean registry wipe before reinstalling.

Scott Stuart

That's the result of exporting your settings in one version and importing them in another version. That particular problem is minor, but older settings in newer versions can cause some bad performance problems. It's a pain in the butt, but I redo my settings from scratch in every version to avoid those sorts of issues.

Wayman John

Well,

I have never before used any software that required me to meddle with the registry in order to install a later version.

Surely many users of Solidworks have neither the expertise nor the authority to delve into the registry.

I'm not sure I have the expertise, and I don't really want the authority!

In many ways, Solidworks seems like very good software, but then there are areas like this, where it seems like someone wrote as a hobby.

I'll look into another uninstall/reinstall cycle, on all our machines, with a registry-bothering step introduced.

Cheers,

John

Rick McDonald

Scott Stuart wrote:

Here's mine:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I get this message when I have another session running (as it says).

I always thought this was referring to the Design Journal and could never understand why it would not allow that to be created.

Once again "Learned something new today"!

Thank you for explaining what and where the Journal is located and what is in it.

This will be a help for us to debug problems.

I don't crash often but my boss does several times a session.

We are still on ver. 2015 but he is on the buggy SP0  and I am on SP5 - Can't get him to update to SP5.

He thinks it will turn into a worse problem or he will do something inadvertently and seriously make it worse.

"Someday"!!

Jim Wilkinson

Alex Lachance wrote:

The API program we do run has no incidence on drawings unless they are generating PDF or DXF. The problem isn't reproduceable so it is no use reporting it to my reseller, kind of like an intermittent problem on a car, yaknow? Which is why I am asking more directly.

As I said, it is something to try to correlate (running something in the API to when the Undo list has a problem) and if you find a correlation (i,e you find something that is reproducible), THEN I meant you should get your reseller involved. Note that there are lots of other things, including third party applications and even many of the SOLIDWORKS add-ins that run the API too, so it might not only have to do with your PDF and DXF generating routines.

Thanks,

Jim

Alex Lachance

Thanks Jim, I will try and look up the SWX log when we get the problem as Scott mentioned and will report to my VAR and on here if I do find something. I have my doubts that it comes from something API related unless dimensions, view generating and everything else works with api's.

The reason I doubt this is because I basically have no API activated besides CustomTools inside my Add-ins. Also, when the problem does occur it is generally after doing a bunch of dimensions, detail views, sections, etc...

Will report back when/if I find something.

Edit: Suggestion, the log should have time stamps on it to make it easier to find what you are looking for. It is not very instinctive to browse through this...

Scott Stuart

Would be interesting to check your journal file after this happens and see if it's recording something different than what it records after a regular undo.