11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2015 2:12 PM by Scott Cole

what weld symbol

Scott Cole

on this sheet metal part, what weld symbol should I use

• Re: what weld symbol
          Jamil Snead

I am assuming the weldment is made up of 4 sides welded together? I think the symbol will depend on what the seam is like, as in if you have one edge overlapping the other, or if you have the inside edges just touching.

For A I would use a square weld symbol, and for B I would use a fillet weld symbol.

John Stoltzfus

Scott - I would use this one inside and outside - The inside seam you may need to add a surface finish as well

Bernie Daraz

How about a spun part? No weld seams.

John Stoltzfus

Makes the best funnel - rather inexpensive as well

Dennis Bacon

I don't get it John. Scott is asking what weld symbol should I use. This part is stainless steel and if it it used in a relatively harsh environment (some moisture involved) there is going to be all kinds of problems. Passivating and or Electropolishing is not going to solve an issue of potential oxidation with stainless steel which is spun. On the other hand welds can be cleaned easily. I have written articles on this in the Fabricator Magazine. Probably in the 70's but I'm sure it still applies. Now if he wants to make a funnel to channel oil into his crank case this may be the way to go, but I would use paper.

Edit:... To be fair,, I have spun ss parts for toilets for the airline industries (military and commercial) . You don't want to do this for the food industry though.

John Stoltzfus

All good Dennis - Scott didn't mention where it'll be used...

I had done a small lab sampling unit years ago for a chemical company and there we used a spun SS funnel, am really curious now if it held up, based on your oxidation comment.

Dennis Bacon

I may have gotten a little carried away. For some reason I was in a rant and rave mode. I really should have just said he may have his reasons. This was a sensitive issue for me since I was, at one time, the (West Coast US) engineering manager of a global company that made coffee makers, hot cocoa, dispensers, fat fryers, large coffee urns and all sorts of restaurant equipment. I made the decision to spin many of the parts on our new products until we could have draw form tooling made for the inner workings of our hot water tanks. Six months later I had a bunch of customers irate with me and the company complaining about the rust. I had anticipated a potential problem and put in our documentation that all spun parts had to be passivated  then electro polished but apparently this was not enough. We sent samples of our parts to a testing lab which ran salt spray tests, ex-rayed, cut and magnified everything and they determined that our issues were from the spinning process. It was ugly and I almost lost my job over this.