3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 8:37 AM by Mike Ponte

Is there a way to create two files that update each other?

Mike Ponte

I was wondering if there is a way to link two of the same drawings that are saved in separate folders so that if you change one of the drawings the other drawing will update too?

Example:

C: -> Solidwork Files -> Enclosure with wheels -> Part 1.slddrw

C: -> Solidwork Files -> Enclosure without wheels -> Part 1.slddrw

What I want to be able to do is...

If I added a note to something in Part 1.slddrw under enclosure with wheels folder the Part 1.slddrw under enclosure without wheels folder would add that same note.

Thanks,

Mike

• Re: Is there a way to create two files that update each other?
          Jeff Holliday

I do not know of a way to do that between drawings. If you added the note as an annotation to the model such that it would show in a particular configuration and then had that view on the drawing import that annotation it might approximate what you are looking for. In general, the info on a drawing pulls info from the model, not other drawings.

Robert Weller

So like configurations, but with drawings? Interesting idea, but you can't do it.

What you could do is a "File, Save As" after making changes to the original drawing, and then right click on the views and "Replace Model" (you could also use Solidworks Explorer Or PDM to this I believe).

If the file names are the same like in your example (generally considered a gigantic no-no), you could simply drag n drop the drawing file to the new directory and it will load up the local version of Part1.

Mike Ponte

I'm create a model and detail drawings for a customer.  The model has a bunch of options like in my example with wheels or with out wheels.  To keep everything simple for them when it comes time to print the details I was going to create a folder and under the fold have the whole set of details.  This is why I want multiple drawing with the same file name and why I want them to update each other.  What I might do is create a folder for all the "standard" prints and then create folders for the options they want.

Thanks for the input