Emil Andersson

Creating a Porous Material to simulate an evapurator

Discussion created by Emil Andersson on Jul 31, 2007
Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 by Jared Conway
Hi!
I'm in a team developing an A/C kit and wanted to use my skills(limited, but some) in flow works to learn how design changes increase vs decreases in the ducting. The evaporator is made of a lot of thin fins and tubes and I hoped that I could place a block in its housing and apply a porous material to the block.

I did this....

I modeled the evaporator (as it is in reality) and its hosing.
I then applied 2 boundary conditions, one ambient and one static flow
I cloned the project (3 times) and sat different flow for each config to 50 ft³/minute, 150 ft³/minute, 250 ft³/minute, and 350 ft³/minute
I batch run the 4 configurations.

To create a new porous material in the Engineering Database I continued as follow....

I set item properties:
Porosity to 0.5
Permeability to Unidirectional
Resistance Calculation formula to Pressure Drop, Flowrate, Dimensions
Pressure drop vs. flowrat to Volume Flow Rate
Lengt to 3.5 in (Length of the modeled evaporator)
Area to 36 in² (Total area for the evaporator modeled)
Use calibration viscosity to be unchecked

Then I created Tables and Curve:
I edited in the flow for each config 50 ft³/minute, 150 ft³/minute, 250 ft³/minute, and 350 ft³/minute and the pressure drop I got for each configuration into the table.

Now I though I had it right and to prove it I created 4 new configurations (flow for each config to 50 ft³/minute, 150 ft³/minute, 250 ft³/minute, and 350 ft³/minute) where I replaced the evaporator with a modeled block and applied the porous material I just had created to it.

But not, the pressure drop trough the evaporator vs the dummy did not came out to be even close.


So, before I try this some more I hoped for some comments and ideas from this forum.


Best Regards

Emil Andersson
Designer/Drafter

Outcomes