AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unable to cast COM object

Question asked by Todd Carpenter on Jul 27, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 by Todd Carpenter

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.  This was working.  I may just been lucky, but I have an add-in I modeled after the "API: How to make calls crossing thread boundaries in SolidWorks C# add-in", with the exception of the Thread portion since I'm not using a form, I wasn't sure this applied (or how I would work that in).  I have another application from the outside calling the add-in.  Being a rookie C# programmer, the threading portion is a bit out of my league, but like I said, this was working.  Here's the complete error:

Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'SolidWorks.Interop.sldworks.INote'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{83A33D55-27C5-11CE-BFD4-00400513BB57}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

Here's the code generating the error (from the add-in):

//
        // Dimension Overrides.
        //
        public string OverrideDims(string[] dimVals)
        {            
            IModelDoc2 swDoc = (IModelDoc2)iSwApp.ActiveDoc;
            // Check swDoc - easy for users to place a command prior to a "Submit Session" rule.
            //
            if (swDoc == null)
                return "Error getting the active document, this routine must be called after at least one Submit Session rule.";

try
            {
                IDrawingDoc swDrawing = (IDrawingDoc)swDoc;
            }
            catch(Exception ex)
            {
                return "Error: " + ex.Message + " a drawing must be active.";
            }

ISelectionMgr swSelMgr = swDoc.SelectionManager; 
            INote swNote = null;
            bool boolstatus = false;
            string dimName;
            string dimVal;

for (int i = 0; i < dimVals.Length; i += 2)
            {
                dimName = dimVals[i];
                dimVal = dimVals[i + 1];

boolstatus = swDoc.Extension.SelectByID2(dimName, "DIMENSION", 0, 0, 0, false, 0, null, 0);
                if (boolstatus)
                {
                    boolstatus = swDoc.EditDimensionProperties2(0, 0, 0, "", "", true, 9, 2, true, 1, 1, dimVal, "", false, "", "", true);
                    if (!boolstatus) return "Error setting: " + dimName + " to: " + dimVal;
                }

if (!boolstatus) boolstatus = swDoc.Extension.SelectByID2(dimName, "NOTE", 0, 0, 0, false, 0, null, 0);

if (boolstatus)
                {
                    //swSelMgr = (ISelectionMgr)swDoc.SelectionManager;
                    swNote = (INote)swSelMgr.GetSelectedObject6(1, -1);
                    boolstatus = swNote.SetText(dimVal);
                    if (!boolstatus) return "Error setting: " + dimName + " to: " + dimVal;
                }

if (!boolstatus) return "Error selecting/finding Dimension: " + dimName;

swDoc.ClearSelection2(true);
            }
            return "0";
        } // end OverrideDims.

Thanks for any input.

Outcomes