25 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2015 9:20 AM by Ben Fisher

templates and sheet formats

Ben Fisher

Right I have a good understanding of templates and sheet formats- BUt struggling understanding this

here is my scenario:

I have an old drawing with an old drawing sheet

I want to swap it out for a new template that I have newly created.

Here is my issue

it only shows me the sheet formats in the properties and not the templates.

I would like a little light shed on this please.

• Re: templates and sheet formats
          John Stoltzfus

gm Ben -

Right click on the drawing page and select from the list or browse for the right template

Erich Wester

Hello Ben,

As John mentioned, it is best to save sheet layouts as both drawing and sheet formats (using file exyensions .drwdot and .slddrt). You also have to be sure to save them in the proper folders and then check the settings in "file locations" to be sure that SolidWorks is looking where you saved the files. I may have made it sound more difficult than it really is. Sorry.

Glenn Schroeder

Ben,

There have been a number of discussions here about updating old drawings to new template settings.  I don't know if anyone has ever found a good answer.  Here is one option: HOW TO CHANGE/SWAP TEMPLATE/SYSTEM OPTIONS IN SOLIDWORKS | Boxer's CAD CAM Blog .  I don't have any personal knowledge of it, but I don't believe Deepak would have posted it if it didn't work.

You can also try saving the new template settings at Tools > Options > Document Properties > Document Standard, then loading them into the old drawing.  I haven't used this method either, so I can't vouch for it.

A third option, and one I have used, is to open a new drawing, with the new template, and then copy and paste sheets or drawing views from the old drawing into the new one.  As long as your dimensions, notes, etc. are set to "Use document font" they should pick up the new settings.  This will almost certainly require a good bit of work, but it's doable.

John Stoltzfus

Glenn -

Good options - could you attach or upload the macro here rather than providing a link, our internet settings block blogs and there may be others the same way, thanks...  I have a bunch of old drawings that need to be replaced or re-loaded, the only way I found was to do the right click, properties, and select from the list.  If there would be a way to do a mass reload or have Task Scheduler run a macro that would save a lot of time.

Ben -

The issue I have here, (which was a pretty big duh on my part), is that I kept changing my templates based on what they wanted here and what I did was;

Each change I would do a save as ....7-27-15 - (file name plus date) and after a while I had a few different templates and sheet formats, then I decided to delete all the old ones and boom - I blew up everything, it will take me a while to clean up the mess that I made.  Bottom line is this, have a single standard file (template and sheet format) for every drawing size or work flow, never delete them, you can make changes, but do not delete them!!!!  

There are macros out there that reload your sheets, which work well if the original template is still in the file folder.......

Ben Fisher

Thanks everyone , you confirmed what I had previously thought.

John , If I would reword my question correctly I would have asked if I need one template per sheet format with the same name and they "reference"each other!

I have both file locations set to a specific location on my server

John Stoltzfus

Not sure if they reference each other or not, (I have limited knowledge on this),  but I think that I know that if you open a new drawing document it will pull from the template and want to add another sheet it pulls from your sheet format...

Maybe that's why you need both, hopefully someone else can explain it better....

Thanks for uploading the macro Glenn, will check it out later...

Glenn Schroeder

Ben Fisher:

Thanks everyone , you confirmed what I had previously thought.

John , If I would reword my question correctly I would have asked if I need one template per sheet format with the same name and they "reference"each other!

I have both file locations set to a specific location on my server

Ben,

I'm not sure what you meant by "I would have asked if I need one template per sheet format".  You can have multiple drawing templates using the same sheet format, or have a single drawing template with multiple sheets using different sheet formats.  There's more information in #2 here: Frequently Asked Forum Questions that might help.

Ben Fisher

The link did help a tad.

Still confused with the fact that you do not open a drawing template , you open a sheet format .

Saying that you could have 3 drawing templates saved in the same file location on the server and when Im starting a new drawing

,correct me if im worng , but It will ask you to choose a sheet format which template does it pull ???

are you only supposed to have one template?

Glenn Schroeder

Ben Fisher:

The link did help a tad.

Still confused with the fact that you do not open a drawing template , you open a sheet format .

No, you don't open a sheet format.  (If there was something in the FAQ post that made you think that I'm sorry.  I'll review it and check.)  If I'm starting a new drawing, I do just that, using whichever drawing template is appropriate for the situation.  If I want to edit a drawing template, I still start a new drawing.  I then make the desired changes and save as Drawing Template, overriding the earlier version. I believe you can directly open a drawing template, but I never do.

Saying that you could have 3 drawing templates saved in the same file location on the server and when Im starting a new drawing

,correct me if im worng , but It will ask you to choose a sheet format which template does it pull ???

It won't ask you to choose a sheet format.  When you start a new drawing it will use whatever sheet format was being used by the drawing template you've selected when the template was last saved.

are you only supposed to have one template?

You can, and many people do, have multiple drawing templates.  When you start a new file, and if you're getting the box shown below, click on the "Advanced" button.  That will take you to a different dialog box where all the templates (Drawing, Part, and Assembly) that you have saved at Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations > Document Templates will be available for selection.

Does this clear things up at all?

Ben Fisher

Hi Glen , thanks again for all your efforts.

I am aware how it all works, but I get confused with the two.

Would I be correct in saying I can have many sheet formats for A1,A0 ,A3...etc

and then one template file which carry all the document settings.

Is that correct?

Glenn Schroeder

Yes, you can have multiple sheet formats for each size.  One example would be if you have multiple clients that you're creating drawings for.  Each one would probably have their own title block, although they may very well use the same size paper, so each client's drawings would use a different sheet format.

So you could have one drawing template, but after starting a new drawing you could change to whichever sheet format would be appropriate for the project.  Another option would be to have a separate drawing template for each client, with each one already set up to use the correct sheet format.  This would be the more likely scenario, since there might also be differences in the Document Property settings for each client.

Think of the sheet format as just one more option that's set in the drawing template, which can be changed for an individual drawing, just like you can make changes at Options > Document Properties to over-ride the template settings.

John Stoltzfus

I'm glad you got this down Glenn, and thanks for the explanation - sure would be nice to have just one template/format document, rather than the way it is, just gets confusing....

Ben Fisher

Thanks Glen ,

This is exactly how I understand it , and Im so happy you could explain it properly.

Now here is my question.

If I have an old drawing that I open and decide I want to change the sheet format , I swap it out no problem

>Easy

the part I m not sure about is : When I choose the sheet format to replace its predecessor ,

-what drawing template does it pull?

I understand the idea of what each is;

I just dont understand how a sheet format chooses which settings to pull from the template

Glenn Schroeder

Ben Fisher:

Thanks Glen ,

This is exactly how I understand it , and Im so happy you could explain it properly.

Now here is my question.

If I have an old drawing that I open and decide I want to change the sheet format , I swap it out no problem

>Easy

the part I m not sure about is : When I choose the sheet format to replace its predecessor ,

-what drawing template does it pull?

It doesn't "pull" any drawing template.  All you're doing is changing the sheet format.  Just like if you decided to change the drawing dimensions from ANSI to ISO.  You'd make that change at Document Properties > Units.  You wouldn't be referencing any drawing template to make that change.  Sheet formats are independent of drawing templates and exist outside of them.

I understand the idea of what each is;

I just dont understand how a sheet format chooses which settings to pull from the template

Again, sheet formats don't pull any settings from the template.  When you change the sheet format in an existing drawing all the settings at Tools > Options > Document Properties remain the same as they were before you changed the sheet format.

If you still don't quite get it, please feel free to keep asking.

Ben Fisher

Yes I understand this .. it feels like we arnt quite feeling each other...

My scenario, our HOD has made a new template for us to use but its saved as a template.

So when I want to swap out the sheet format it only allows me to choose between sheet formats and not templates.

Should my HOD of saved out a different sheet format and not a template.

John Stoltzfus

Ben - Hopefully they kept the same name for the template!

If not then you will have to go and select the new one from the property dialog box, rather then a macro to reload the sheet.. 

Glenn Schroeder

If your HOD (what does that stand for, by the way?) saved the drawing template, but also made changes to the sheet format without saving the sheet format, then that could certainly cause problems if you want to use that sheet format in another drawing.  I don't know if the changes in the sheet format would even show up in new drawings started with this drawing template.  I'd never tried that, or even thought of it.

Ben Fisher

-Head of Department-

the point is such that we were told we need to update our drawings with the new template , but it is a template not a sheet format so it doesnt give you the option to select the template in the property dialog box..

Im learning as we are playing ping pong with our Q&A .but It's quite a tricky question to articulate; My apologies

John Stoltzfus

I don't think that if you change the sheet format - that it reloads the new changes in an old sheet.  I had so many issues here, only because our template/format was evolving, rather then saving over it I saved as another file, which really screwed me up.  I do have a macro that reloads sheets and it works well if you make a change to the template/format and save it, but if you choose another file name then it breaks the links, especially if you delete the old file, which is what I did, now that was a big DUH on my part....

Ben Fisher

HI John , This isnt my issue I Just want to understnad the logic of why a template file was saved as apposed to a sheet format.

I believe it is an error on the HOD's behalf?

Glenn Schroeder

If your HOD saved a new drawing template, after making changes to settings at Tools > Options > Document Properties, and wants you to convert old drawings to this new drawing template, then my first answer to this discussion applies.  If your HOD made changes to the sheet format (title block, etc.), and you need to update old drawings to this new sheet format, then if the HOD didn't save the sheet format, but only saved the drawing template, you won't be able to update the old drawings.  If that's the case, open a new drawing, using the new drawing template.  See if the sheet format reflects the changes made.  If it does, then save the sheet format (File > save sheet format).  Now close the drawing, and the new sheet format should be available to select when updating old drawings.

If this still doesn't answer your question, please explain exactly what changes the HOD made that you are now supposed to incorporate in old drawings.