AnsweredAssumed Answered

Building complex features on curved surfaces

Question asked by Adam Kollgaard on Jul 25, 2015

I'm looking for some better strategies on building features on curved surfaces. I'm very new to this.

A close example of what I'm doing is this snowboard binding: I have an initial curved surface which is extruded into a solid. Then, I need to go in an build features on top of that, similar to the ribs and features you see on this binding. I feel like it shouldn't be that hard but it's turning out to be a pain and my models end up getting pretty complex.

I think one thing that is giving me a lot of trouble is I have to build a nice blended bead around the edge of the surface and I just can't get it to come out how I want it to.

This is the desired edge I'm trying to get (can't share the whole image unfortunately). I only have a top view to work from.

edge.JPG

The method I'm using right now is basically drawing 3D splines and connecting them as boundary surfaces.

For example, if I was building the binding below, my procedure would be the following:

1: extrude a surface for the large constant thickness binding back

2: project a split line to make up the curves on the raised section, and raise this as an offset surface

3: build 3D splines and connect with boundary surfaces to add the center raised sections of the ribs

4: cutout the cutout sections using a simple cut extrude

5: knit as I go along

6: add fillets

Snowboard back.JPG

Outcomes