AnsweredAssumed Answered

Making tapered box

Question asked by Aaa Aaa on Jul 22, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 by Martin MacDonald

Hello there,

I am a new solidworks user, I have been watching videos and following tutorials over the last few days. I can now confidently navigate around the program but still have a long way to go.

I am a metal fabricator hoping to use solidworks to create my ideas and drawings with.

Today, I tried to recreate one of my old and very simple drawings within the program but immediately encountered a problem. I am trying to produce an open ended, tapered box. All 4 sides of the box are effectively metal plates that are welded together at the edges. (See attatched file).

The problem I am having, is producing the angle of the plates that is required in order to make them meet at the edges. I can do this fine If I do it as a simple box, all plates equal size, I just can't figure out how to angle the plates when they are configured as per drawing. Do I need to angle the planes? If so, how?

If I do it as a plain box. I sketch a square on the front plane, sketch the same on the right plane with the edges touching, extrude both then add a weld bead between them.

any answers and advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time in advance.

jack

Attachments

Outcomes