4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 1:52 PM by Donovan Huffaker

EPDM File Metadata

Nikola Cvetojevic

Hi, I am trying to put together a report for my management group that specifies what states and duration in state that certain Engineering Change Orders are in. The problem I am having is some members of management do not have access of EPDM for various reasons. Therefore using EPDM search is out of the question for those members; I am trying to come up with a solution using Microsoft Access to search, filter, and email a report every week or every time there is a change to the data set. I was wondering if EPDM has a dedicated file or table located somewhere in the installation directory that contains the metadata of all the files stored within a vault? I figured if a file like this did exist, I would be able to use it for the Access database.

• Re: EPDM File Metadata
          Steven Richmond

Nikola, all the metadata is stored within the SQL server. I've never tried using Access to do what you are looking for and if someone has I would love to see it. I personally use excel to run several pivot tables that management who don't have access to EPDM can visually see.

If you are comfortable with a bit of SQL and VBA then look at the following post by Jeff Sweeney as a great starting point in achieving this.

EZ Enterprise Dashboard Graphs - 3DVision Blog

Nikola Cvetojevic

Steven,  this is definitely a start. You were mentioning that you use excel, how do you retrieve the data? Is it through the search tool?

Steven Richmond

It's through a bit of VB coding in the spreadsheet. If you open the spreadsheet on the above link, edit the macro and follow what Jeff says in the green comments then that's a starting point.

As i don't have SQL editing software on my PC I also use Excel to view the SQL tables by using Data>From other sources>From SQL Server to bring in data from the SQL server.

Donovan Huffaker

Nikola,

We have followed Steven Richmond's path on a few of our reports and Jeff Sweeney's solution is similar to some of the reports that we use.

We started out working with Tim Webb and he helped us create solutions for our management team. We have a database expert on staff and he has worked with Tim for more solutions.

Once the management team views the dashboards the excitement and buy in of the EPDM capabilities explodes. We are constantly receiving requests for more dashboard reporting from our management team.

Tim is a Certified EPDM administrator and SolidWorks Solution Partner and has some great dashboards developed. Send him a private message or check out his info here http://www.equivaq.com/products.html