15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 10:23 AM by John Stoltzfus

Centre line issue

Ben Fisher

Ive found an issue with Centrelines as an annotation.

I have a piping assembly where im trying to add centre lines individually to the draing because the auto insert seems to be smoking crack.

But even when I am trying to select the two lines for it to place the centre line between it tries to place centrelines everywhere even under the kitchen sink

Note the auto insert is not selcted

So my question is there any other way to accomplish correct centrelines

Please see attachedcentre.PNG

• Re: Centre line issue
          Arnold Hazlewood

i have a similer problem  in solidworks 2015 after the computer spends a minute or two adding the millions of centerlines i do not want, you can use the ctrl z function to start over.  when i ketch myself it happens because i have selected the view before clicking the center line button.

I wish there was a way to cancle the command as the computer is laging to put in all the extra crap you dont want it to do but are forced to wate.

Arnold Hazlewood

just a thought, is your piping created with a 3d sketch?  you may be able to show that sketch, or convert entities to get your center lines

Ben Fisher

It is created with 3D sketch yes , but the reason it is happening is becasue its and assembly of the pipe routing as well as all elbow etc.

So it places centre lines on all parts within the assembly.

It would be nice for a tool such as section scope to be available for centrelines to avoid this issue.

or if your tree was available when you choose the centrline feature so you could select part to add centreline.

John Stoltzfus

gm Ben - Try this -

When your in the drawing select the view then go to the feature tree and select the sketch you want to show and convert entities then high light and change the line style and weight and color

Highlight the sketch

Select line style

Change the Color

Glenn Schroeder

Ben,

If a drawing view is active when clicking on Centerline then the intended functionality is to place one at every possible place.  Make sure you don't have the drawing view selected when you activate the centerline tool

Peter De Vlieger

Sometimes it behaves, sometimes it doesn't.

If one doesn't select the 'auto insert select view' then it shouldn't happen, it says so in the box above it. But it does happen. And it does it often.

So no that can't be intended behaviour.

Short of spending time on making the necessary demo files and submitting a SR report there isn't much you can do.

I know it won't help you now and considering that it's been this way since at least '09, I wouldn't hold my breath.

In general I try to use centerlines as little as possible. Especially for dimensions I tend to make the 3dsketch lines temporarily viewable.

Ben Fisher

Well Put!!

I agree about keeping them down to a minimum , but when you have a piping system it is pretty much impossible to avoid it :/

But I just hope this issue gets sorted , as I wasted an entire last week fixing/triming/deleting the automatic centrlines.

Peter De Vlieger

Ben,

I truly feel your pain.

If I'm not drawing piping, I'm drawing constructions for piping or the surroundings (buildings and such) for the piping.

Even the 3dsketch has issues because it's not rare, depending on the version and the SP that one is working with, that to make them visible you first have to make them 'hide' before you can make them 'show'.

On top of that you can't just filter all the 3dsketches in the feature manager and just switch them all on because the system only allows you do to it one ..... at ..... the...... time. Which really doesn't help things along when you have 4 views, a detail and a couple of section views on a layout that you have to detail of a half a dozen individual routes.

On an additional side note :

For the life of me I don't understand why, when one can toggle the view sketches with shift+s, that the 3dsketches of the routing is by default switched to a non viewable state in the drawing mode no matter if one has made them viewable in the model mode.

Tony Cantrell

What if you turn on view Temporary Axis