2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 11:25 AM by Lee Henderson

Mate two curved parts

Lee Henderson

Hello I'm hoping for some help.

I have a curved block and I would like like to use mates to place another identical block on it's end (with a 5mm gap). I am reasonably new to solidworks and I can't seem to find the correct set of mates to do this for me. After a few hours of trying I've decided to give up. Please could I have some help

• Re: Mate two curved parts
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Lee,

I'm a bit confused by your question.  You referred to placing another block with mates, but you only included a single part, not an assembly, so I'm not sure what you're trying to do.  If you only want a second body in the part, with a 5mm gap between them, one option would be to create a plane 2.5mm from one surface, and use this plane to mirror the body.  That's what I've done in the screenshot below.

If you did mean to create an assembly using two instances of this part, then mating the second to the first with a distance mate shouldn't be that difficult.  You said you're fairly new to SolidWorks.  Have you worked through some of the tutorials that are included with the software?

• Re: Mate two curved parts
            Lee Henderson

Thanks for the reply Glenn, I managed to figure it out with a little help from your good self!