9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 11:20 AM by Chris Dordoni

Smooth dxf export?

Vincent Bensch

So I have a sketch that was derived from breaking up text. I need to export it to a dxf with smooth curves, but this happens when I try. Any Ideas?

• Re: Smooth dxf export?
          Richard Earley

Hi Vincent,

Double-check your output settings for DXFs

File > Save as > Choose DXF as the File Type > Options.

I reckon that you might have the splines being exported as polylines rather than splines

SW text is usually treated as a spline, rather than lines and arcs

dxf output.png

Otherwise, does it still look the same after exported? Something like DraftSight would do as a free viewer

Hope that this helps!

Richard

Vincent Bensch

These are the settings that generated that picture, and yes it looks the same way after importing it into Illustrator.

Richard Earley

Hmm interesting, I have come across two possible solutions in the Knowledgebase

The first suggest increasing you Image Quality (Tools > Options > Document Properties > Image Quality > Shaded and Draft Quality HLR/HLV Resolution)

This works as the DXF is almost like a screenshot. That being said, your sketch curves look decent anyway.

The other suggestion is editing the dxf in a text editor and increasing a certain value (S-067738)

1     Open the DFX file with a text editor

2     Search the word “VPORT”

3     Below the second VPORT word, about “ViewportTableRecord”, imagine to create groups, everyone in two rows.

4     The first row with “40” indicates the Viewport Height

5     Change the second parameter with a value, more little than the actual.

When you open the changed DXF, probably it needs a Fit View, but the entities should have now a better graphical representation, similar when a ”regen / rebuild” process has been run.