2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2015 7:23 AM by Alan Sweetenham

Big screws when working with clients' assemblies

Robert Campbell

I do not use Toolbox for my own designs, so thankfully the classic big screws problem does not affect my own work.

However, I encounter it almost anytime I work with data from a client that uses Toolbox.

Supposedly this was fixed years ago, although I've still seen references to it since in this forum as well as others.

Any idea what is wrong? Should the client change a setting on their end? Should I change something on my end?

<rant>

This is ludicrous. Will SolidWorks just give us a proper library and stop encouraging people to use this mess? The standard recommendation idea that these parts should not be stored in your PDM system (how many interferences and how much costly scrap and rework has been caused by hardware in your experience? And we're supposed to leave the management of these up to an external, non-revisioned controlled database, never mind one that is this flakey?) is beyond me.

</rant>

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Re: Big screws when working with clients' assemblies
          Deepak Gupta

Robert, this is correct and expected behavior as probably your toolbox doesn't have the required configuration of fasteners used by your client.

Ask him to send you the toolbox parts used in this assembly. Replace the one on your machine with those parts and all files should open correct.

• Re: Big screws when working with clients' assemblies
            Alan Sweetenham

Hi Robert,

While sharing the same toolbox is the optimal solution, you should  receive messages asking you to generate missing toolbox sizes when you open an assembly i guess this is not happening? If not also check Tools -> Options System Options -> Messages/errors/warnings and tick any that look likely to see them again

errors.png

Also wondering, does your customer have their toolbox set to generate parts or configurations? This is set for toolbox items under the configure toolbox options, step 3

toolbox settings.png

Also is this option under system options -> Hole Wizard/ Toolbox Selected? It was my understanding that this should correct such issues in most cases.

default search location.png

Finally what version of SOLIDWORKS are you running?

Thanks

Alan