5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2015 1:32 PM by John Stoltzfus

Circular Slot

Paul Mark

Hello!

I am having issues with a circular slot. Specifically, when i dimension the arc subtended by the slot, and then attempt to divide it by 2 or more, Solidworks gives me an error. So if the slot starts off subtending 80° and I want to set it to be 40° (for instance for a design study where it is going parameter-by-parameter), it says "Warning Sketch2   The sketch has not been updated because solving it would result in invalid geometry (such as a zero-length line).  Consider :      o Deleting the invalid geometry.      o Changing relations or dimensions to eliminate the invalid geometry." This seems patently rediculous to me, which generally means I am missing something. I can find no work-around as of yet. I have tried defining the slot using both circular slot definitions and they both produce the error.

I have attached a dummy solidworks part file which incorporates this issue. The dimension currently set to 80°, if one tries to set it to 40°, it causes this error. I am running Solidworks 2014 SP0.0

Thanks so much for your time!

• Re: Circular Slot
          John Stoltzfus

Paul -

When I changed the dimension to 40 degrees yes it did give me an error, however I kept going down with the dimension and back up now it doesn't show any errors,  seems like there is a hidden snap point that wants to connect to the slot geometry somewhere.  Once you edit the dimension, by going up and down with the dimension it seems to work fine..

Paul Mark

If you were to go up above 40 and then back down, it works. It seems to be an issue relating to directly jumping to half the angle or less, which I agree probably has something to do with a hidden snap or some other hidden parameter.

At 80, if you jump to 40, it fails. If you increment to 41 then back down to 40, it works. It seems to not be an issue when doubling the angle as well, so going from 40 to 80 is allowed.

When setting up a design study, however, the values by default go minimum->intermediate->maximum->minimum. If maximum/minimum >= 2, it errors and the simulation results are suspect. I can, of course, manually set how it goes through the parameters, such that it goes max->intermediate->min->max, where none of the steps are greater than or equal to a factor of 2 (for instance 30->15 if i want to go every 15 degrees) but this is not functional for a large number of values in a range. In general, this should also not be an issue that I have to work around every single time I need to make a drastic change to a slot.

John Stoltzfus

Paul - I suspect it has to do with the small slot sketch point in the center of the slot, delete the 50 degree dimension and add a vertical line and dimension that - seems to go through the test there......

Paul Mark

John,

Thanks! That does let me change the subtended angle, but I note that the 90° angle now has the same issue, at least for me, in which I cannot change it to 50° or less when the subtended angle is 80°, or 70° or less when the subtended angle is 40°. As 50+80/2=90 and 70+40/2=90, these likely stem from the same issue as before.

John Stoltzfus

Like I said I still suspect the slot points picking up relations, like the center point could be picking up a coincident relation to the origin and the two outer points could be picking up a horizontal relation from one to the other, or the centerline picking up vertical or perpendicular.

This could be a bug that is easy to fix, might be good to send it to your VAR..