5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 2:00 PM by Brian McEwen

Is it possible to select referenced files based transition a setting?

Aaron Torberg

Through our design process there are times when we want to transition a lot of data, and times when just one part or assembly would be transitioned.  Is there a way to manage what gets selected when a transition is initiated?  For instances our process has a an initiated state, then an assembly and all of its parts got to a checking state, then to released.  But if a part from the assembly gets revised the assembly goes into a revision loop, and possibly one part from the assembly, but not all of the assemblies parts, so I would like to select all referenced documents for the move from initiated to checking, and checking to released, but only the selected files for a move from released to revised...?  Right now we select all referenced documents by default, so when a user instates a revision, if they don't un-check all of the parts it makes a pretty big mess (a bunch of necessary revised parts).  Does anyone know of a good way to set this up?

• Re: Is it possible to select referenced files based transition a setting?
          Faur Arama

Hi Aaron,

I presume that you know that there is an option on groups/user settings that let you set that references are not marked by default on transitions.

So, if you check this option only the selected files in explorer are marked for transition.Image 1.png

Aaron Torberg

Faur,

Yes, I was aware of this option.  I am basically looking for this option to be transition specific, instead of user\group specific.  Our releases happen at an assembly level, and our revisions happen at a part level.  So a release of a station for us would require the check box to be blank, and a revision would require the box to be checked, if I could specify this functionality in the workflow transition it would not require the user to unselect all when making revisions.

Faur Arama

In this case I think the only solution is an API addin

Jim Stone

If you name your model, assembly and drawing files all with the same name (usually the part or drawing number), it's easy to select all the files you want and only the files you want.

Have the setting above set to not automatically mark all referenced files. Initiate your state change and right click in the state change transition window. Click on "Select Files...". In the window that pops up, enter your base part number before the *.* that's there. Don't delete those wildcards!

7-17-2015 8-12-55 AM.jpg 7-17-2015 8-13-24 AM.jpg

All the files starting with your base number will be highlighted in blue. Carefully click on one and they're all selected. It's a good idea to scroll through and make sure they all say OK, in case one is in the wrong state or checked out. Then just click OK and you've transitioned all the correct files.

7-17-2015 8-14-07 AM.jpg

Note the 032762 assembly. If an assembly requires sub models just for the sake of the model (not a separate part) we'll still use the same base number and add a suffix. This file selection method will properly grab all of those, as well.

We were very frustrated with file selection when we first implemented, until we shut off the automatic selection and found this selection tool. In a larger assembly it can be a nightmare trying to find the files you want!

Brian McEwen

From what you said it seems like you would want to leave it as is (mark referenced files when changing state).  You do a change state on the assembly and you get the whole thing.  You want to change certain components and you change the state on only the select components.  You are going to have to find those few components either way.

Are you saying that the one component being revised also has a lot of references under it also, and you don't want those?  You can multi-select and uncheck all, and then go back and check the few you want. Not ideal there, I understand.

We do not mark referenced files.  We put ECO numbers on the data cards of components (drawing and model) being revised, and then run state changes based on a search for the ECO number.