2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 3:38 PM by Allan Bowers

Would you use mbd in a sheet metal parts environment?

Allan Bowers

Would you use mbd in a sheet metal parts environment to dimension a folded part, i.e. to show overall dims when the part has been made OR would you just include a bend table and show a view of the flat pattern dimensioned where the bend lines are in relation to a chosen datum, in a top and bottom view for e.g. if there are up and down bends?

I am learning about MBD and wondered about its usefulness in Sheet Metal manufacturing.

• Re: Would you use mbd in a sheet metal parts environment?
          Casey Gorman

Allan,

You can use MBD with sheet metal. If your supply works with STEP files or with SOLIDWORKS native files, this could help them with quoting and manufacturing.

If they don't use either of those files, you can still use MBD, but you will have to fully dimension your part. Not a big deal, just make sure you use views that best describe the finished part.

MBD works best with the combination of a 3D file and a 3D PDF, but just a completely dimensioned part, shown in a 3D PDF gives all of the information needed. To me the 3D PDF is a 2D drawing on steroids.

• Re: Would you use mbd in a sheet metal parts environment?
              Allan Bowers

Thanks Casey, the parts will be cut out using a laser so I am assuming at this point that they can use DXF format. I am in NZ they are in England so a world away by boat or plane but seconds by internet. I will do a layout with CAMWorksNesting.

So ultimately I can send drawings in either eDrawings or 3D PDF and the nested layout (the stock is not standard sheet size) to both the end user and the shop who will cut them out.

Makes collaborating with people around the world very easy.

Thanks for your reply.