7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2015 3:16 PM by Matt Peneguy

Multiple units on one sheet

Jared Emery

I would like to use different units on one sheet. For instance, I want the dimensions, hole note and hole call outs to be decimal but I want the bill of material, cut list and certain notes to be shown as fraction. Can this be done?

• Re: Multiple units on one sheet
          Matt Peneguy

I don't know if you want to do this on a case by case basis, or if you have different views that would be in different units.

If you just need to change a few, you could override the individual dimension units by selecting the dimension/s and selecting the "Other" Tab and overriding the units.

If you wanted a view based solution, I'm not sure how to do that without using a macro, or something.

Good Luck.

Jared Emery

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the override but the problem is if I set the document units for fraction it will display stock sizes as fraction (Good), cut list as fraction (Good), dimension override to decimal (Good), BUT the hole chart sizes & dimensions are displayed as fraction (BAD). So I either need a way to also override table units or be able to set them individually.

John Stoltzfus

Individual pick and choose, like Matt mentioned...

Reminded me that;

"The Simplest Things in life are the hardest - it's really easy to make something complicated"

Jared Emery

You are not understanding the issue. The problem is with the tables not the dimensions. If you know of a way to "individually pick & choose" units for tables please share!

John Stoltzfus

No - I know what you need   -   Didn't mean to come off brash - but seriously it's a bit of work - it is much easier to keep everything the same, manual inputs or manual changes are always a trap for mistakes down the road....

All good -

Jared Emery

Exactly. I do not want any manual inputs. For the time being we are leaving it in decimals but it looks a bit silly seeing stock size as .13 instead of 1/8". Maybe a units setting for individual tables will be in later versions of Solidworks.

Matt Peneguy

Jared,

I see what you are after, now...

I seem to remember running into the same thing, we use mixed units also and the hole callouts are very cumbersome to deal with.

This may be something that Dassault could address with something like a checkbox that would allow you to override types of dimensions, such as hole callouts.  If you submit a feature request, be sure to let me know and I'll vote for it.

In the meantime, you may be able to run a macro to find all hole callouts on the sheet or drawing file and assign them as fractions.

I have a macro that I use to change a dimension from 2 to 4 decimal places, and you may be able to use some of it to help sort this out. I'll post it when I get back to work on Monday.