6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 5:29 AM by Luke Harris

Strange Fill Surface Behaviour

Luke Harris

I recently purchased a "SolidWorks - Surfacing" tutorial DVD by Infinite Skills. The tutorials are great, however they fly through pretty quickly and there seems to be no focus on how to combat any potential issues you may encounter.

The tutorials instruct, with the assistance of reference images, how to construct a Ferrari Enzo steering Wheel. I am currently working on the lower spoke for the wheel, which is constructed of various boundary surfaces but requires a couple of filled surfaces. The issue is that when I come to build my filled surface I end up with mountains instead of the smooth 'curvature continuous' surface i desire. I have played around with the surrounding surfaces a number of times (i.e. that define the perimeter of my fill). Though I managed to improve on the results i still have surface inconsistencies and a couple of unwanted concave and convex parts (see below).

So how does one control a filled surface? And is a fill the best method for this part of my model? And whilst we're on the subject, you may notice how the colours don't seem to transition smoothly at a lot of the surface boundaries; even on the front surface, which should show smooth curvature continuity (as far as i'm aware) as its just a fillet added after the fact.

Thanks in advance for your time

Luke

• Re: Strange Fill Surface Behaviour
          Mike Price

Hi Luke,

Waiting for others to chime in here also, but by the time you use tangent to surrounding edges and constraint curves for a filled surface, you already have the necessary information for constructing a good loft or boundary surface which you know you can control much better.

While your curvature color maps are not showing smooth transition, if you begin to hover over areas (especially in the blue/black) you will see you are going from flat to flatter....

I can't explain why color maps look so choppy like this, but that doesn't mean that your surface is wrinkled to the point that the color map is showing.

I use the color map to look for surface irregularities like wrinkles and then min radius type of indicators for machining.  Looking at yours, I don't see any issues and all looks like it transitions decently, although it looks like the fillet you show a close up of could be a little better.

Scott Harvey

It's hard to explain without seeing the model.  To answer your question, yes the filled surface is controlled by the surrounding surfaces. 

Can you post your model?

Paul Salvador

so,.. is it this tut at about 12:50...   SolidWorks Surfacing - 05.Lower Wheel - YouTube

btw...the guy notes a good trick...slightly moving and adjusting the boundary surfs will help recalc/solve the fill surface...although..I think a boundary surf would do better than the fill in this case.

Luke Harris

@Mike, this makes sense, seems strange that the tutor opted for a fill surface. And in regards to the choppy colour maps - is there a way of rectifying this? (seeing as this is a method of analysis). And I understand what you mean about the fillet, but what is strange is that i used a fillet feature, so really this should be curvature continuous by default I thought?

@Scott please find model attached.

@Paul yeah, that's the one! I actually followed the guy's tip and played around with the surrounding surfaces, but after about an hour, no matter what I seemed to do I always ended up with some form of inconsistency in my fill surface. The result I posted was the best I managed to achieve. Boundary it is!