3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 9:41 AM by Jeff Sweeney

Looking for a way to send out safety reminders when a user logs into EPDM.

Andy Funkhouser

I have been given a task of finding a way to use an add in or similar that when a EPDM user logs in, a random saftey statement will appear on screen and they will have to physically close the window. Is there anything out there that I can use?

• Re: Looking for a way to send out safety reminders when a user logs into EPDM.
          Jeff Sweeney

A "random safety statement"?! One time I'm told to wear shoes when walking in a cow pasture, another time I'm told to not play in traffic? Can I help make up these random safety statements?

• Re: Looking for a way to send out safety reminders when a user logs into EPDM.
            Steve Soeder

Here is an example of how to send users a message.

As for determining when a user logs in, I'm not sure what event you could hook into for that.

I'm pretty new to add-ins so I may wrong, but I think with add-ins the code is not typically accessible before the user is logged-in, so I'm not sure how this would work. The AddHook method allows you to add event listeners, but it looks like most of the exposed events would only be able to happen once a user is logged in. Possibly of interest is EdmCmd_InstallAddIn

EdmCmd_InstallAddIn23 = The add-in is being installed

I don't see any further info that says when the add-in is typically installed, so I'm not sure if this is event is triggered when you use the Administration tool to add a new add-in, or if this is something that is triggered every time a user logs in and the client has to retrieve and install the add-ins from the server?

Maybe you could experiment with it.

You might have better luck with a standalone program, but again I'm just not sure if there is a login event exposed that you could hook into.

I hate to suggest it, but a down and dirty way might be to create a wait loop that is not exited until the IsLoggedIn property evaluates to true.

Something like this (note: untested code, just throwing it out there as a possibility)

Dim VaultInstance As IEdmVault5 = New EdmVault5()
            Do While Not VaultInstance.IsLoggedIn
                 Do Events
            Loop
            `The rest of your code below is not accessed until the condition evaluates true