5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 1:36 PM by Jacob Johnson

Solidworks rename & more

Jacob Johnson

I want to explain my process here and then explain what I think I want to do. I'm just looking for some feedback to make sure I am going about this correctly.

We are using a third party add-in that works off of a system of template folders. In each folder is an assembly or part or both. This is accompanied by a drawing.

When a users selects this template while designing, it copies the folder and all of the content to their project directory and renames it for the project they are working on, then renames all of the files inside.

The problem I see with this method is that these are not assembly / part / drawing template files. They are actually solidworks files and subject to being outdated.

As it stands, we now have hundreds of templates designed. This has happened over the course of years and what the standards were back then, have evolved over the years and what we are left with is a snapshot in time. Things like drawings suffer the worst - drawing units, drawing fonts, dim styles, center marks, bent leader length, title blocks and many more little things have been modified over the years.

What we are left with are hundreds of folders that are out of date to our current standard. I would like to bring all of these folders up to date, and being a coder - of course I want to do this in code. So I can run it again if need be.

I have tried design checker and task scheduler and a couple other options and it can catch "Some" of these discrepancies, but not all and I would still have to open each folder one at a time, review the drawing and make the changes by hand.

Now.. for the project I am thinking about:

I want to collect this directory, iterate through each folder and basically output an up to date set of files using the settings I programmatically configure.

Do you think the best stab at this is opening existing drawing files and modifying them? or to create a "master" drawing file containing all of my settings. Then in code, open a copy of that master drawing, and then the target drawing. Grab all of the references and copy them to the master that holds the settings I want, Delete the old drawing or move it somewhere as a backup, and then rename the copied master to the original targets name.

Has anyone done something like this? thoughts? I suppose I can go either direction, I am just looking for the path of least resistance.

• Re: Solidworks rename & more
          Deepak Gupta

In a nut shell, I would keep back of all the files.

Now for updating them create a master file with all settings. Then export the drawing standard to an external files. Finally use a macro to implement this standard to all drawings. There could be chance that some settings might be missed so you can check/fix them while working on the drawings.

Here is one similar macro that could be helpful: Re: Macro for applying a drawing standard to multiple files

Jacob Johnson

I will have to do some testing, but in the past simply changing the Drafting standard to another one didn't change all of the settings I wanted to control. If I can remember, there were certain settings in the document that drafting standards did not change.

I think units for example - the units stay metric regardless of standard and Inch is what I need, specifically 4 place decimal inch, dual dims at 2 place metric.

Also I am thinking I might be able to handle the title block changes in the sheet format file. I could reference the sheet format, and make sure they are using the correct sheet format.

I think the process would be to:

1. Use my updated drafting standard and apply that to all current drawings

2. check / update all unit settings in current drawings

3. check / update all sheet formats in current drawings

Deepak Gupta

Jacob Johnson:

1. Use my updated drafting standard and apply that to all current drawings

2. check / update all unit settings in current drawings

3. check / update all sheet formats in current drawings

You should be able to use the macro to accomplish this. Just run few test and then modify macro to include what else is left out.

John Stoltzfus

Past mistakes that I made - which sound similar to what your experiencing  -

1. Creating Multiple Drawing Templates (You should use "ONE" format for all "or" -  one for assemblies and one for individual parts.)

2. In the Custom Property Tab Builder I had most of the information in the Configuration Tab - (This information "Must" be in the default Tab if you want to use Task Scheduler for any Custom Property Updates) - Which is why I don't use configurations, it is much quicker to do a "Save As" different part number then doing investigation work and manually changing the custom properties.

All in a nut shell "You got a major Challenge" 

A perfect setup is where you spend seconds updating any information in a folder, not hours.