AnsweredAssumed Answered

Create a Surface from a Solid - Help Needed

Question asked by Casey Chorens on Jul 7, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 by Casey Chorens

Hi,

I have a solid part that I have designed to be manufactured by vacuum forming. I need to turn it into a surface and create STEP and x_b files to make it and while it seems easy to make a solid from a surface, I am having trouble figuring out how to do the reverse.

I tried making an offset surface by selecting every face on the front of the part and setting the offset distance to 0 inches. I then hid the boss-extrude feature (obviously suppressing it caused the surface to disappear too). This produced the desired result but I was concerned that it wouldn't work when opened in BobCAD (which will be used to vacuum form it) and sure enough, I was told the solid part still showed up.

How can I create a surface that is identical to the surface of a solid body (which is technically over 100 smaller surfaces so hopefully I won't have to create that many new individual surfaces)? And how do I get it alone in a file? I tried to edit -> copy the surface but Solidworks said it couldn't be copied. This has been my only experience doing anything with surfaces and I'm totally stumped. Thank you so much for helping!

Outcomes