31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2017 4:02 PM by Matthew Lorono

Section view to custom view issue

Ryan Vovk

I am having some issues with drawing section views relative to an angled face.  I create a "new view" relative to the face every time the angle changes but name it the same as what is in the drawing so it overwrites it.  I "pack and go" the drawing of this model so I don't have to redo all the dimensions and view, but its not working and is getting time consuming.  Not sure if there is a better way to do this, but my section view doesn't stay vertical and want to rotate the sectioned view.  This is hard to explain, so i have added some pictures.  Model A and Drawing A are before changes.  Model B and Drawing B are after the change.  The "Cylinder with cut Face" just shows what the part looks like.  If I need to give more information I can.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Section view to custom view issue
          John Stoltzfus

Could you upload the part??

Mark Kaiser

I am confused as to why you are not using the Front View in the drawing as a starting point, and take your Section view from this (Front view)?

Ryan Vovk

I would, but the front view doesn't contain anything I need to show in detail.  I added a couple pictures of what I am actually working with that have been modified to not show all details.  I just posted the stuff before because I was just trying to see if it was a small issue, easy to fix.  The pictures that is "Attempting" shows what happens after the change, and the "Before change" is prior to the angle/view change that I need to keep consistent.  The views shown are the areas that need to be dimensioned and shown in better detail.

I am open to doing things different.  Not even sure if what I am doing is the best way.  I only know enough to be dangerous with Solidworks. 

Mark Kaiser

Knew I wasn't understanding the question correctly.

I think you need to create a custom view, normal to the face of what you want to be the front view.  Not sure how to accomplish that though. 

Have you experimented with Broken Out Section view?  Maybe you can create your section this way, manually rotate the view when needed?  The dims might stay oriented correctly?

Ryan Vovk

Mark,

That's how I have the the main view.  That face, that is at the angle, is a custom view I save (normal to that face).  That's why I don't get why it gets rotated slightly, it's odd.  The only thing I can think of is that, when I change that angle of the face, the section view gets confused.  The section view is locked vertical and to the model origin, which in theory shouldn't change.  It looks like the section view cuts through the part at an angle, and I can't get it to rebuild (I guess) correctly, I even force rebuild and nothing.  Not sure if there is a sheet triad and a model triad, so to say, that shifts.

I haven't tried the Broken Out Section View before, so I will have to try it.  I should be able to check that later today, or tomorrow in the morning and post what happens.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark Kaiser

Your custom view for your main view is breaking.  Custom views do not remember relative to a face, they remember a position relative to the origin/main planes.... I think.  So, I may be able to tell you why it is breaking, but not how to fix it.

Workaround thought #2.  Create a side view in the drawing to project the main view off from, then create the section view from the main view.  You may have to manaully rotate the side view when your angle changes, but the other views should then update appropiately.  Kind of the same thought as doing the section view as a broken out view, and rotating the broken out view manually.  To rotate a drawing view manually, you use the same rotate view button as in parts and assemblies, just select the drawing view first.

Ryan Vovk

I need to get more training in Solidworks, but I need to have it specific to how we use it at work, and I don't think that's an option with them right now.  I have been learning from various sources, just not enough to get everything I need.  Bits and pieces.  I apologize for that, and am very appreciative of all the help people provide here.

John Stoltzfus

Ok Ryan - It's been a day - following pics is how I would approach it, not that difficult with just a little work around.....

First insert top view

Then add section line

Add Section View - Add vertical construction line and dimension angle

Rotate view by amount on dimension - either + or - Dimension

Delete dimension and line

Might not be the answer your looking for - but this take only a few minutes and you can get the view you need

Ryan Vovk

Thanks John, but this doesn't work.

Does anyone know if you can change the origin relative to a sketch or face?  This way my origin changes relative to the angled face.  I don't think I have to have that angled face off the cylinder as it is, it just works out better that way.  If that face is my top plane, that would be fine, it's just that I don't always know the the angle until later.

Mark Kaiser

If that face is my top plane... would this fix it?  Could you put in an angle, change it later to what it needs to be? 

You can use the Direct Editing tool Move/Copy Body, to re-orient your part in the part file, but this screws up sketch dimensions when you insert them into the drawing?

Ryan Vovk

That's what I tried, but because of some complicated sketch the model, I need to show some in the drawing to provide better information. So when it's changed like that, the sketch gets rotated, and I properly show what is going on.

In all reality, I think, it just need to be modeled better/correctly.  I will have to start over with it and see what is the best modeling practice for this application.  I was always taught to model how you want it to look in the drawing.  I didn't start this job, just acquired it. 

Thanks for the input.

John Stoltzfus

Inheritance isn't always a good thing lol -

Just a thought when you re-model the part, (you probably thought of this), ....  Orient the sketches how you want to see them in the drawing... and if the angles get changed, keep the relationship to the 3 main planes, which means your first sketches need to be started on new planes.

Ryan Vovk

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to have to do.  Just need to figure out how to create the model with that face on as the top plane (prefer).  The biggest issue in that there is a small cavity on that face that is offset, up the face, relative to the origin.  This is the most critical dimension.  So I would have to create an ellipse, wouldn't know the dimensions, and extrude it at an angle to create a cylinder.  (Hope that makes sense)  added picture

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

To set the "Attempting" section to vertical (the left edge), try "Tools > Align Drawing View > Vertical Edge".

Cheers,

Kevin

Ryan Vovk

This aligns the view, but doesn't reset the section cut (view).  What happen, from what I can tell, is the section cut actually is cutting the model at an angle and no longer is cut vertical to the origin.  I have tried to use "3D Drawing View" to manipulate the model in the drawing, but is still cut incorrect.  For now, I am just working with it, and will remodel it later to be correct.  Or at least what I think is correct.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Mark Olsen

There is a way to do this.  It does require an extra part, though.  Create a new part (called part2 for reference).  Insert Part1 into Part2.  Make sure that you bring in the solid model, all sketches (absorbed and unabsorbed), and the planes (you'll probably need the to constrain the part, but not necessarily).  Also, make sure that the locate part checkbox at the bottom of the property manager is checked.  Then, add constraints to align the face that you want as the front view with the front plane in Part2.  Create your drawing from Part2.  Now if you change the angle in Part1, the views update and the dimensions align correctly.

Update:  Added the model to show how to do it.

Daen Hendrickson

Ryan,

If I am understanding your issue, perhaps give this a try:

• Pack and Go to new file (part and drawing)
                                          • Update angle of face in the new part file
                                          • Recreate view normal to angled face
                                            • Either Delete and remake
                                            • Or click to create a new view and give it the same name as the existing
                                              • SW will prompt if you want to overwrite the view
                                          • Rebuild and save new part file
                                          • Open drawing of new part
                                          • Select the view normal to the cut face
                                            • in the view property manager in the More views: list select one of the other views - such as diametric.
                                            • Accept the warning message that the view orientation has been changed
                                            • Select the "normal to cut face" view again and again accept the warning message that the view orientation has been changed
                                          • Your sectioned view orientation should update correctly so that the cut face is vertical again.

Daen

Matthew Lorono

To create the view is easy.  Just use Relative to Model view.  However, if you modify (or intend to modify) the angle in your example, this will not work as Relative to Model is set-it and forget-it.  It will need to be recreated each time, which may not be a desirable workflow.

Dan Pihlaja

Matthew Lorono  wrote:

To create the view is easy. Just use Relative to Model view. However, if you modify (or intend to modify) the angle in your example, this will not work as Relative to Model is set-it and forget-it. It will need to be recreated each time, which may not be a desirable workflow.

In response to the italicized above:

I am not finding this to be true (in SW 2015 SP5).  When I use Relative view, then angle updates perfectly.

See images below:

My part:

Drawing using Relative View:

Drawing:

I save everything.  then make a change to the part:

After hitting CTRL Q in the drawing:

Updated perfectly.

I would say that "Relative View" or "Relative to Model" (which is the same thing, depending on whether you are selecting it in the "Insert" menu or if you are selecting it via an icon) is the way to go for this.

Paul Risley

I had an old file like this when I started here. The solution I had to use was move bodies at the end of the feature tree and update the drawings. I think it would work for your situation, once done you would have to re-align your views. But once done the model can be copied(P & G) and whatever the angle changes to the model will always be true to the top plane.