2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2015 5:41 PM by Joe Kuzich

Drawing practices

Joe Kuzich

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what the best way would be for us to create our drawings.

Once we create our product(s) we create a drawing set that shows; plans, elevations, sections and details.  Pretty typical. Currently all of that is generated from the model(s) that are project specific.  There are a lot of details that we make over and over again.

In AutoCAD we simply have them as a separate typ. drawing that gets added to the set.  I am looking to do something like this in SW so we don't have to spend time doing things like re-typing out notes or cutting and pasting them & then re-aligning the leaders.

We want our drawing set to be a single set with running page numbers.  So pages 12 of 40, 24 of 40 & 32 of 40 might be typ. details.  If I skip the pages we would have 'of 37' rather than 'of 40'.  If I leave the pages blank and just go in and replace the blank pages at the pdf level, its just more steps and I still have to update the page number info on the typ. details.

I have had mixed luck cutting and pasting full details.  Sometimes I get errors saying I can't do it but I really have not spent much time trying to figure out the (what, why, when's) of when it does or does not work.  Before I do, I'm hoping that there might be a simple solution I just don't know to research.  Maybe something like a 'insert detail from remote file' or something where the inserted detail keeps all the notes and dimensions but its on the correct page in the correct set.

What's the best way of achieving this

Thank you,

Joe

• Re: Drawing practices
          John Stoltzfus
          1. Is the detail your talking about basically just notes or section details or what? 
          2. Are the assemblies typical in design, but variable dimensions?
          3. Are the assemblies typical in dimensions, but have added features?
          4. If the detail is typical through out most of your drawings, would you be able to create a dummy part to cover all the detail, if you could then you could also create a special drawing template and add Custom Property details?
          5. Would it work for you to do a Pack & Go?
            • Re: Drawing practices
              Joe Kuzich

As I was trying to type out a response better explaining what I was trying to do, I think I figured out a solution.

I was trying to cut & paste the details before.  Sometimes that worked, others I got errors.

I tried cutting the whole tab from drawing 'a' & pasting it into drawing 'b'.  It has worked so far without any errors.  And the way we have the title info set up on each sheet the title block info is automatically changing the that of the final drawing file.  And my sheet numbers are updating correctly.

So I think if I set up a standard details folder with the parts and assemblies I can create a drawing file that has all the standard details for each system.  Then as a projects drawing file calls for a standard detail I can cut & paste that tab with the detail.

I'm glad you asked those questions, it got me thinking in a different way.  Thanks.

1 person found this helpful