29 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 7:32 AM by Deepak Gupta

Note on drawing showing current sheet number and total sheets MINUS 1

Peter Larsen

Hi,

I need to add a note on my drawings showing current sheet number and tototal sheet numbers using the syntax "Page X of Y".

I can easily do that with these CustomProperties:

Page $PRP:"SW-Current Sheet(Current Sheet)" of $PRP:"SW-Total Sheets(Total Sheets)"

Questions:

1. But I need to subtract 1 from Total Sheets since I have on sheet that should be left out - is that possible?
      2. A better solution for me is to say that Sheet names starting with "Doc*" and "Line*" should be left out of the total sheet numbers - but that is probably more complicated?

Thanks in advance.

/Peter

• Re: Note on drawing showing current sheet number and total sheets MINUS 1
          Leon Wurr

This code returns "j" as the number of sheets without "DOCS" or "LINE" on it's name.

Now you just need to cycle through the sheets and use DrawingDoc::InsertNewNote2 to insert your notes.

Option Explicit

Dim swApp       As SldWorks.SldWorks
          Dim swDraw      As SldWorks.DrawingDoc
          Dim swSheet     As SldWorks.Sheet
          Dim swSelMgr    As SldWorks.SelectionMgr

Dim intSheets   As Integer
          Dim i           As Integer
          Dim j           As Integer

Dim strSheets() As String
          Dim strRmv1     As String
          Dim strRmv2     As String

Sub main()
              Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
              Set swDraw = swApp.ActiveDoc

intSheets = swDraw.GetSheetCount
              strSheets = swDraw.GetSheetNames
              j = 0
              strRmv1 = "DOCS"
              strRmv2 = "LINE"

For i = 0 To intSheets - 1
                  If InStr(1, strSheets(i), strRmv1) < 1 And InStr(1, strSheets(i), strRmv2) < 1 Then j = j + 1
              Next i

Debug.Print j

End Sub

John Stoltzfus

Leon - Does it get the sheet names from the sheet tab ??

Leon Wurr

Yes, it gets the names that appear on the tabs:

sheet.png

The following line returns a matrix of strings with every sheet name on the active drawing document:

John Stoltzfus

Thanks Leon -

That's what I thought but it doesn't leave the "DOC" one out of the sequence... If it's the third tab it still says 3 of .....

Leon Wurr

Not if you use another If statement to insert notes only on sheets that don't have "DOC" on it's name:

x = 0
                          For k = 0 To intSheets - 1
                               If InStr(1, strSheets(k), strRmv1) < 1 And InStr(1, strSheets(k), strRmv2) < 1 Then
                                    x = x + 1
                                    strNote = "Page" & x & " of " & j
                                    'put the code here to insert note on drawing with the text of strNote
                               end if
                          Next k

Leon Wurr

Here:

Option Explicit

Dim swNote      As SldWorks.Note

Dim k           As Integer
                                Dim x           As Integer

Dim strNote     As String

Sub main()

strRmv1 = "DOCS"
                                    strRmv2 = "LINE"

j = 0
                                        If InStr(1, strSheets(i), strRmv1) < 1 And InStr(1, strSheets(i), strRmv2) < 1 Then j = j + 1
                                    Next i

x = 0
                                        If InStr(1, strSheets(k), strRmv1) < 1 And InStr(1, strSheets(k), strRmv2) < 1 Then
                                            swDraw.ActivateSheet (strSheets(k))
                                            x = x + 1
                                            strNote = "Page " & x & " of " & j
                                            Debug.Print strNote
                                            Set swNote = swDraw.InsertNote(strNote)
                                        End If
                                    Next k

End Sub

Peter Larsen

Hi Leon,

Thank you very much for your work here!

I am not used to work with scripts so how exactly do I "attach" it to a note on a drawing?

And if I want it to exclude sheet names that begins with "Line" and "Doc" is that possible?

Thanks.

Leon Wurr

The current code is supposed to exclude sheets, that have "DOCS" and "LINE" on it's name, from the total number of sheets.

You can modify it for other words by modifying this lines:

strRmv1 = "DOCS"

strRmv2 = "LINE"

Whatever you put inside those quotes are the words the code will look for on the sheet's name, and it will keep the sheets that have a match for this words off the total number of sheets.

I'm note sure of what you meant by "how exactly do I 'attach' it to a note on a drawing".

John Stoltzfus

I'm not that familiar with the API side, however I already did make some modifications to different Macros..  I do have a few additional questions.

1.  In a multiple tab drawing file - does the DOC or LINE tab page need to be the first, last or any where in between?

2.  In the Macro is there a difference from a few pages per file or 100 pages per file?

Thanks a lot

Peter Larsen

Leon,

1. I do not know how to put this macro into a drawing note/text box so it can be shown on a drawing sheet format as "Page X of Y" at the bottom of the sheet.
                                                  2. Can I update it by adding this at the end of the script:  swModel.ForceRebuild3 (True)
                                                  3. Regarding sheet names to be excluded, is it possible to write that all sheet names that BEGIN with "Line and "Doc" should be excluded, so that e.g. "Line 1", "Line 2", "Doc 1", "Doc 2" will all be excluded from total number of sheets?

I hope I am not asking for too much here!

Thanks.

/Peter

Leon Wurr

1-

Well, I see two ways of inserting the notes on your sheet.

The first way would be to search your sheet template for the text:          Page $PRP:"SW-Current Sheet(Current Sheet)" of $PRP:"SW-Total Sheets(Total Sheets)"

and replace it with:

"Page X of Y"

for every page of your drawing.

The second way would be to insert the note on a fixed position based on the sheet size, given that the sheet doesn't already have a note with the text Page $PRP:"SW-Current Sheet(Current Sheet)" of $PRP:"SW-Total Sheets(Total Sheets)"

Which one would work better for you? Remember that this won't be auto-updated, i.e., if you change the number of sheets or the sheet's position, the numbers shown on the note (Page X of Y) won't update.

2-

Yes you could, but remove the parenthesis: swDraw.ForceRebuild3 True

3-

The command InStr() is case sensitive, so make sure that you write the right text inside the quotes:

strRmv1 = "Doc"

strRmv2 = "Line"

I've added some commands so that the code only excludes sheets with names that begin with "Doc" or "Line", try it out:

Option Explicit

Dim swNote      As SldWorks.Note

Dim k           As Integer
                                                      Dim x           As Integer

Dim strNote     As String

Sub main()

strRmv1 = "Doc"
                                                          strRmv2 = "Line"

j = 0
                                                              If InStr(1, Left(strSheets(i), Len(strRmv1)), strRmv1) < 1 And InStr(1, Left(strSheets(i), Len(strRmv2)), strRmv2) < 1 Then j = j + 1
                                                          Next i

x = 0
                                                              If InStr(1, Left(strSheets(k), Len(strRmv1)), strRmv1) < 1 And InStr(1, Left(strSheets(k), Len(strRmv2)), strRmv2) < 1 Then
                                                                  swDraw.ActivateSheet (strSheets(k))
                                                                  x = x + 1
                                                                  strNote = "Page " & x & " of " & j
                                                              End If
                                                          Next k

swDraw.ForceRebuild3 True
                                                          MsgBox "Notes successfully added!"

End Sub

Peter Larsen

Thanks a lot, Leon! I tested the script and it works perfect.

1. It is best if the script inserts the note at a fixed position on the sheet format (not on the drawing itself as the script now does) so it cannot be moved.

2. How can we define the formatting of the note? See below screen shot.

3. If it needs to be updated, can I then delete the note and run the script again?

Thanks again.

Leon Wurr

Damn, you owe me a beer dude lol, this macro got much longer than I thought it would be.

1 - Now the macro adds the notes to the Sheet Template, so you won't be able to move it. You will have to get to the "Edit Sheet Format" interface to move/delete it.

The note's positions are set based on the sheet size, you'll have to adjust these values according to where you want to place them on your templates:

'Positions of notes, values are in meters by default:

'A4 SHEET POSITION

XA4 = 0.14      'This is the horizontal position of the upper left corner of note

YA4 = 0.005     'This is the vertical position of the upper left corner of note

'A3 SHEET POSITION

XA3 = 0.35

YA3 = 0.005

'A2 SHEET POSITION

XA2 = 0.524

YA2 = 0.005

'A1 SHEET POSITION

XA1 = 0.771

YA1 = 0.005

'A0 SHEET POSITION

XA0 = 0.1119

YA0 = 0.005

2 - The notes are formatted as per request, minus the font type "Calibri", I couldn't get that to work:

strNote = "<FONT face=calibri style=B size=3.5>Page " & x & " of " & j

3 - If you need to update the notes, just run the code again, it will delete the old notes and insert new ones with the correct number of sheets, but be careful as the code will delete any notes that begin with the word "Page" that are sitting on the sheet template.

If you want, you can change this behavior by deleting the following lines, but then you will have to manually delete the outmoded notes.

'Routine to delete already existing notes that begins with the text "Page":

Set swView = swDraw.GetFirstView

Set swSheet = swDraw.GetCurrentSheet

Set swNote = swView.GetFirstNote

Do While Not swNote Is Nothing

If InStr(1, Left(swNote.GetText, 4), "Page") > 0 Or InStr(1, Left(swNote.GetText, 4), "PAGE") > 0 Then

swModel.ClearSelection2 True

swModel.Extension.SelectByID2 swNote.GetName & "@" & swSheet.GetSheetFormatName, "NOTE", 0, 0, 0, False, 0, Nothing, 0

swModel.EditDelete

End If

Set swNote = swNote.GetNext

Loop

Hope this helps.

Hey John Stoltzfus , check out this changes, maybe now the macro will be more usable .

Deepak Gupta

Here is what needs to be changed to get the note formatting work

Dim swTextFormat                As SldWorks.TextFormat

Set swAnno = swNote.GetAnnotation

Set swTextFormat = swAnno.GetTextFormat(0)

swTextFormat.CharHeight = 0.0035

swTextFormat.Bold = True

swTextFormat.TypeFaceName = "Calibri"

swAnno.SetTextFormat 0, False, swTextFormat                   

'Routine to insert the note based on the sheet size:

varSheetProps = swSheet.GetProperties

Select Case varSheetProps(0)

Case 7 'A4

swAnno.SetPosition2 XA4, YA4, 0

Case 8 'A3                

swAnno.SetPosition2 XA3, YA3, 0

Case 9 'A2

swAnno.SetPosition2 XA2, YA2, 0

Case 10 'A1

swAnno.SetPosition2 XA1, YA1, 0

Case 11 'A0

swAnno.SetPosition2 XA0, YA0, 0                  

End Select