4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 12:41 AM by VENKATESH S.

How to mirror an assembly

Peter Cohen

Hello, I was able to mirror a part by selecting a surface of a part and then chose insert mirror. However, I am unable to do it for assembly. After trying without success, I saved the assembly as a part file. Then, opened the part file and selected all the parts in the assembly and chose mirror. A mirror was created but not in a separate file. It is in the same file. Deleting parts of the original assembly also deleted the mirror assembly. Could you please let me know what is going on and the proper way to create a mirror of an assembly? I want left and right assembly in two separate files. Thanks.

• Re: How to mirror an assembly
          Jesse Robbers

Use an existing plane, or create a new plane within the assembly file. Use this plane to "Insert>Mirror Component" about, select the parts or components you wish to mirror. Then suppress or hide the seed part or components. This can be saved as a new assembly file or as a different configuration within the same assembly file, your preference.

Peter Cohen

Thanks. Speaking of existing plane or create a new plane... I have the following issue. I created a new plane parallel to the default sagittal plane created by SW. Under Mirror, I am unable to select that plane. Do you know why?  When choosing the sagittal plane, the left and right assembly will mess together. However, I guess there should not be a problem as I suppress or hide the seed part or components. Am I right?

How come I cannot delete the seed components? If I suppress or hide and then send the stl file to the 3D printer (not directly from SW but via a 3rd party software which came with the Stratasys 3D printer), will those suppressed/hideen components be printed?

Jesse Robbers

Can you upload your part files and assembly file(s)? Click on "use advanced editor" towards the top/right corner of the reply box. I do not know why you are unable to select the new plane you created. This should not be a problem to complete, there may be a simple solution.

If you delete the seed components then the mirror components will be deleted also or it will not resolve. If you suppress the seed components after you created the mirror components, then only the mirrored components are active. If you hide the seed components, this is only good for visual representation. The seed components are still active, but not visible and this doesn't sound ideal for your needs.

VENKATESH S.

Watch the attached video for an reference.

Thanks and Regards

Venkatesh S

Application Engineer

E G S Computers India Pvt. Ltd.

http://www.egsindia.com | http://www.egs.co.in | http://www.egsindia.blogspot.in